Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

Are there any Facebook groups for newly admitted students or parents of students that we can join. Please do share if you know.

1 Like

My DS was admitted to engineering. We have been trying to sign up for the engineering visits but no spaces are opening up. Is there any other way to visit besides on your own? Any general admitted students visits? Thanks for any help.

My son was admitted to Engineering but we didnā€™t get any aid except for Pell Grantā€¦is it ok to ask FA office to reconsider his application? Thanks in advance for your advice :pray:t2:

You can ask but I doubt that your appeal will be successful. Penn State is notorious for poor financial aid (merit and need-based) for both instate and out of state students. I knew this when my D17 was applying to colleges and didnā€™t let her apply, knowing that Penn State would be unaffordable for our instate, $0 EFC family. Hopefully your son has been accepted to schools with generous financial aid.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply :pray:t2: He got accepted with some aid at 2 other institutions ā€¦ better than nothing :wink:

Did he apply to West Virginia University? Their engineering school is very good and your son may be eligible for up to $21,500 (plus Pell) in aid there. They have rolling admissions and are still open for applications.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I think at this point heā€™s done with applications :grimacing:ā€¦but will definitely look into it.

I attended Villanova University for the fall semester and decided to take a break because I did not like the school. I completed 17 credits there which is not enough to be considered a transfer student, so I applied as a 1st year student at the end of January (late, I know, but this was my only option.). I got into UP as a bio major last year for fall semester. This year I go waitlisted. I had a 4.3 weighted GPA and a 3.96 UW. My college GPA was a 3.84 (stem major). Does anyone know if I have a change of getting off the waitlist/any advice to increase my chances? UP is my first choice of school to transfer to and I really hope I eventually get in!! Oh also I applied as undecided!

Would Intended Major- CS mean that a certain GPA would need to be maintained to be eligible for CS?

No one is in a major at Penn State until they complete entry to major requirements.
For computer science those entry requirements can be seen here: Undergraduate Advising | ETM - New and Re-enrolling Students - Summer 2020 or Later | Penn State Engineering

1 Like

There is one called Elevate Penn State- PSU Parent & Family Resource Guideā€¦Iā€™m sure there are others but this is one that I joined when my daughter was admitted to get some more info.

1 Like

@CuriousType @shanfam0305

there is also a generic ā€œPenn State Parentsā€. multiple admins. parent run. many many psu parents on there.

the ā€œelevate Penn Stateā€ is administered by one individual ā€¦ and kicks people out if he doesnā€™t agree with your point of view. Only one admin. its ā€œhisā€ page.

just a heads up.

2 Likes

Anyone here has a student planning to attend OR highly considering attending Penn State for Computer Science or Digital Arts and Media Design?

Hi there,
Iā€™ve seen you over on the RIT board also :slight_smile:
My son was accepted for Digital Arts at Penn State but ultimately chose RITā€™s 3D Digitial Design program.
We are a HUGE Penn State family and all 3 of my other kids attended Penn State like both their mom and dad, but Penn State is not big on the visual digital arts. Performing arts, yes. Digital arts - not really. They only have that one major and my son was concerned if he ever decided to change his major, heā€™d have nothing to go towards in the way of visual arts at PSU. RIT on the other hand has many majors in the digital arts so if our son doesnā€™t like one he can transition to another.

Computer science is good at both schools so I canā€™t help you there, but figured Iā€™d chime in since I know your student is looking at both schools for digital arts as well. The Co-Op opportunity at RIT was hard to turn down as well. (But RIT is more $$).

Hi, yes, Iā€™ve seen you at both boards as well! Congrats to your son for deciding on RIT! My son is going back and forth between Pitt and Penn State for CS and is also interested in Digital Arts/Interactive Media as well. Yes, he got accepted to RIT as well but for Software Engineering and saw their 3D Digital Design program. The only thing thatā€™s keeping him from embracing RIT is the distance from home and that it appears that a car becomes a necessity after your freshman year which my son will not have. Can I PM you about RIT and Penn State?

Sure! Thatā€™s fine!

My son committed for digital arts and media design and we already attended the ASD if you have any questionsā€¦

2 Likes

My daughter is applying in Fall of 2024 for digital arts and media design. Iā€™m just curious, what are your sonā€™s stats and did he take a lot of courses related to the major? My daughter has many arts courses but very few digital design. We are undecided as to whether or not she should apply for this major or just apply undecided.

I will send you a PM. Thank you!

My son took a digital media class for all 4 years of high school and was in national art honor society (leadership role). That was the extent of his art extra curricularsā€¦ā€¦other than drawing non-stop whenever he can!