Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

At UP or all campuses?

She didnā€™t specify. If I remember correctly it seemed to imply they were applications to UP.

Correct. The new Vice President of Enrollment Management will oversee a new aggregation of Undergrad Admissions, Financial Aid, Bursar and Registrarā€™s offices; he has not yet had full oversight of an entire cycle. Exec. Director of Undergrad Admissions position is currently an ā€œacting interimā€ status as a search is underway for a permanent hire.

1 Like

I think so too

Here is the cds for this last cycle.

My OOS son heard this morning. They offered him Erie. No thanks.

2 Likes

At accepted students day on Monday they said they had over 120,000 applications - by far the biggest application pool they have ever seen. I will say that after spending the day there, I can understand the appeal! It is a phenomenal campus and such great school spirit.

4 Likes

My OOS son just got accepted to University Park for Psychology. Crazy because he wasnā€™t waitlisted, just hadnā€™t heard until now! He is already committed to University of Michigan, so will be declining. Although itā€™s just before Decision Day, hope this might help someone else on waitlist.

1 Like

Did anyone else still not get their decision?

Same see you next year!

Hope this helps!

Date Applied: 8/1
Accepted 12/9 University Park- Smeal- Summer Start!

DS23-Northeast Highly Ranked Public Suburban HS

Class Rank: None

GPA: 3.96 UW on 4 scale & 4.5 W on 5 scale)

SAT: Submitted 1410 (700English/ 710Math one sitting)

APā€™s: 5 total (1 junior year/ 4 senior year)
US History/ AP Gov/ AP Lit/ AP Calc AP psych (13 offered- majority offered are STEM)

Honors classes: 11

ECā€™s:
Class President (4 Years)
DECA CEO- 3 years leadership/ (4 years in club)
Club Founder/ President (4 years)
STUCO- (4 years)
NHS- member
Volunteer- average amount

Honors/ Awards:
3x DECA State Finalist
2x DECA Top 3 Exam score in state
1x DECA National Finalist
3 school based awards

Essay- simple topics- montage style essay-I thought it was creative and could connect with various readers

LOR- one was a ā€œ10ā€ Was able to read it after graduation. LoRā€™s from Biz, History and English Teachers (no STEM)

Hi, and good luck to all of you that are starting your first year at Penn State!

My daughter just applied a few weeks ago for Fall ā€˜24 (sorry - I know this isnā€™t the place, but thread hasnā€™t been created for ā€˜24 yet!). Iā€™ve been reading through your experiences with applications and admittance - Thank you for all of the helpful information!

Right now the portal says her application is being reviewed. Does that mean itā€™s actively being reviewed, or is that the default status after an application has been received? What other status updates does Penn State provide?

Iā€™m assuming we have to wait until November/December like previous application cycles. But part of me wonders if maybe they wonā€™t start posting decisions earlier to prevent a backlog since there were so many applications last year. Wishful thinking, I supposeā€¦

PSU isnā€™t just her #1, itā€™s her only. I know we should (and will) diversify by applying to other schools, but getting a letter early would make life so much easier!

3 Likes

What college and major? What are her stats? Is she applying to Schreyer?

1 Like

Sheā€™s applying DUS/Undeclared to University Park (in-state).

GPA is 4.2 at a very competitive, highly ranked public HS. Not sure if they consider individual years, but her GPA has gotten better each year (Junior - 4.6), and would be much higher if didnā€™t include scores from 9th grade (virtual learning). No test scores being submitted. Sheā€™s a student athlete and played travel soccer throughout her academic career. Both parents are alum as well as many in our extended family.

She has summer session option checked, and would actually prefer a summer start to get acclimated with the campus and college level coursework.

:+1:sounds good.
Hopefully you can find a safety thatā€™s affordable, just in case.
Is she applying to Schreyer?
(Assuming 4.6 is out of 5 with good rigor).
I assume yours will be the 1st post in the Penn State Class of 2028 thread - and hopefully one of the forst acceptances!

1 Like

No not to Schreyer

@b_family Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if past history is an indication of future dates, it is rare to hear anything before Nov. 1st. And in the past, it was the commonwealth campus kids that heard early.

And depending on her major, other colleges may hear first. If the Engineering rep decides to admit the top stats kids, they may come before HHD (or something else). It is a bit of a waiting game and my best advice is just donā€™t check the portal and drive yourself crazy.

Now, having said all that, there is a new Enrollment guy (canā€™t remember official title), so the old may be thrown out.

Good luck - hope she hears positive news!

3 Likes

I think her chances are very good, but itā€™s very unlikely she will hear before November or December.

I am hoping that she applied Early Action and not Rolling. Early Action guarantees an earlier response (December 24) than rolling (January 31).

Unless their process has changed or your high school counselor advised otherwise, my understanding has been that itā€™s best to apply to Penn State EA and to have things in by November 1. Earlier doesnā€™t help.

1 Like

Why not?
Is 4.2 not a top GPA indicating rigor and achievement at her HS but something like top 40%?
(I assumed 4.2 would be topnotch). Or does she think Schreyer essays are too hard, not worth the time? Does she think she has no chance of getting into Schreyer? Or that applying to Schreyer will jinx general admissions (for the record, the process is entirely different, admission is done through Admission, Schreyer is done through professors from the college who read the essays thinking, do I want this kid in my seminar next year? - simplifying - Decision for Schreyer is usually announced in late February or March whereas PSU admission would be announced in December or January.)

Hopefully you applied EA and she completed the SRAR. Note that the SRAR may take a while so make sure itā€™s done well before the deadline.

Now she needs to think about what she likes about Penn State so that she can find a similar enough university: SUNY Binghamton ? UVermont ? Ohio University ? UDel? Rowan?

Technical question here-did she get an email from psu setting up her account with them so she could do the SRAR? Their site says they will send a link within 24-48 hours of starting the common app but my D hasnā€™t received. Youā€™re leading the pack so thought Iā€™d ask you.
Thanks!!

1 Like