Penn State Nursing Hershey

<p>I was wondering if there was anybody out there who could tell me about the moving to Hershey thing with Penn State nursing. Is it as bad as it sounds? It seems like you don't even go to Penn State cause you have to leave, or does it not seem like that when you are actually going through it? Help please!</p>

<p>First, it is extremely hard to get into Penn State’s BSN program. You can spend your freshman year at a branch campus that has the needed science classes. I imagine most students go right to University Park, because if you can get into nursing, you should also meet the cutoff for getting into University Park. You must spend 2 years at University Park. You spend either your 3rd or 4th year at Hershey. Hershey is a huge medical complex with a large med school and new pediatrics hospital. There also is some Penn State housing available next to the hospital. </p>

<p>Some people complain about having to leave State College, but Hershey does offer great opportunities. There are a few nursing students who don’t have to go to Hershey (mainly Scheyers Honors College students), but there is only one small hospital nearby. Some of the clinicals for State College involve state prisons.</p>

<p>The local hospital in State College (Mount Nittany Medical Center) has recently taken in some of Hershey’s med students and nursing students. Penn State is trying to expand the programs to UP to accommodate more students, so there’s a chance you could stay in SC all 4 years. Personally, if i were a nursing student, I’d want to go to Hershey for my 3rd and 4th years. It’s just more exciting and there are more opportunities than Mount Nittany. Mount Nittany is a great hospital, but it’s not as big or multi-disciplined as Hershey is. Whatever option you end up with, I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it. Penn State is such a great school and Ive heard few negative stories about it. Most people that don’t like it or transfer end up doing do because UP is too big for them or SC is too “hick town” and they want to go to school in a more urban area. While SC isn’t a major city, it’s definitely more “urban-like” than Hershey. Hershey’s campus makes you feel like you’re at some major city hospital, then once you look outside of it, there’s like cows and farms and all that. :D</p>

<p>Good luck! :-)</p>

<p>As someone born in Hershey, I feel a need to defend it. It is a great town, that has become surrounded by suburbia. There are fantastic parks nearby and widespread entertainment opportunities (including at the Hershey Theater which has live shows, the Giant Arena and the Hersheypark Stadium). The City of Harrisburg is 15 minutes away, which has many attractions, and there are about 1 million people within a 45 minute radius, plus lots of farms. I would imagine many Penn State grads end up being hired by the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. By the way, the proceeds of Mr. Hershey’s donations were used to build the main medical complex at Hershey in the 1960s.</p>

<p>Charlie–I apologize. I didn’t mean to make it sound that bad. It is a nice place with many things to do outside of the farms and empty fields. I guess a better way to say what I meant was–State College is a college town built around the UP campus. Everything there is tailored towards the late teen-early twenties student population. Hershey doesn’t have this, but that definitely doesn’t make it a boring or bland place to study. As I said, I would definitely go there if I were a nursing student.</p>

<p>It might be a great opportunity, but the way I look at it I would want to go to PSU not Hershey. Hershey might have a lot of things to do, but it isn’t a college campus so all the activities that you were involved in at State College you won’t be able to do at Hershey. All you will really have for that entire year will be your classes and clinicals.</p>