Percussion Camp in June

<p>Is there anyone out there who has a student going to the percussion camp in June?</p>

<p>My daughter is attending. We are from out of state so we are wrapping Bama Bound and Percussion Camp in to one long trip.</p>

<p>My son is oos also, we did the same thing with orientation. I don’t see much talk on hear about the band, glad to see someone else.</p>

<p>Hi Tx! There are several of us on CC who have students in MDB including myself and hokiefan. Please let us know if you have questions and we’ll try our best to answer. My D will be a sophomore and hokie’s son will be a jr.</p>

<p>Thank you Missread, I appreciate it.</p>

<p>Hokiefan here. Yes, I would be happy to put in my two cents. As missread mentioned, my son is a junior. He played with the marching band twice, the pep band once and the concert band. He loves it. Good luck to your students this summer.</p>

<p>I am a woodwind looking to try out for MDB for the Fall. Anyone know when try outs are?</p>

<p>Check out this page [Prospective</a> Students | University of Alabama Bands](<a href=“http://bands.ua.edu/prospective-students/]Prospective”>http://bands.ua.edu/prospective-students/) for important information. I believe band camp for freshman will begin on Aug. 8th and tryouts are during band camp.</p>

<p>laceew45- </p>

<p>Missread had some great info. The link to the band website has most info you need and it is all spelled out step by step. I would also add that besides keeping up with your musical abilities this summer, you stay in physical shape. It is really hot and humid at band camp. Actually it is hot and humid most of football session. So try and spend time outside this summer doing some exercising. My son is not a runner/jogger so he did a lot of walking/marching around my neighborhood and also rode his bike. I also remember the summer before my son started, there were videos on the band website showing their style of marching, turning etc. They were helpful to him as Bama uses a different style than what he was used to. They are probably on you tube if you do a search. If I can locate them on the band website, I’ll let you know. I’m not too tech savvy:)</p>

<p>At band camp, you will be auditioning not only your musical abilities, but the marching part. Good luck. I’m sure it will be fine. RTR!</p>

<p>I’ve also been told that the band will be smaller this year (375-400) in anticipation of needing to fly everyone to Pasadena.</p>

<p>Thanks guys! I have some friends in the MDB but none of them are very reliable. Lol
Yeah I realized the marching was soo different.</p>

<p>*I’ve also been told that the band will be smaller this year (375-400) in anticipation of needing to fly everyone to Pasadena.
*</p>

<p>Is that true? I’d be surprised if Bama would shrink the MDB over that concern. If Bama goes to the BCS again, money to pay for more MDB members should be the least of their concerns. lol it would be a good problem to have.</p>

<p>I just ask my son if heard about the size of the band decreasing, and he said yes he had heard the same thing. I guess it will be more competitive this year to earn a spot.</p>