Performance BM interviews-what to expect

Dear CC parents,

You all have helped us through the process, we are almost at the end of our journey.
My student has an interview with music schools in the coming weeks, they are slotted for 10 minutes each and it is for performance BM in string bass. Any guidance or feedback on what type of questions and or conversation we should anticipate?
Thanks in advance!

Others on this forum may have more recent information as my son completed his auditions and interviews in March of 2020 and thus the process was in person. A few themes emerged:

The student should be prepared to talk about the pieces that they performed in the audition. Questions might be “why did you choose this piece?” or “what do you like about this piece?”

Questions related to what inspires you to play or perform such as “what do you envision when you play?” or “share a favorite musical moment”

Discussion about how the student sees themselves in the program. One question was “what do you look for in a studio?”

Know that there is no right answer. Faculty are looking for students who are able to communicate, thoughtful and who have the ability to play beyond the notes on the page.
Good luck!!

1 Like

My son just did a 10 minute interview and was asked:

Why this school
Why do you want to major in music

Then there was a few minutes for questions. He was nervous and a little discombobulated on his responses, but they told him he was recommended for the max scholarship so it can’t have been too awful! I think they know the kids are nervous.

Thank you murray93 and anotheroboemom! My son was asked where else he was selected to audition in addition to the questions similar to the ones you all mentioned.

1 Like

Hi Murray93. Did they tell him that in the interview. My son got a “best of luck” at the end. Not sure how to interpret that and driving myself batty :slight_smile:

Yes they did. This particular music school was not highly competitive. I think good luck probably means good luck getting it all done! It’s a busy time for these kids.

1 Like

Yes, you will drive yourself crazy if you try to interpret interactions.

Some schools/faculty members attempt to say very little in order not to create false hope…or misunderstandings….too early on. Best of luck sounds like a perfectly benign, professional response by a good faculty member. Of course, there are schools and teachers who may say more…and in those cases it may work out…or regrettably not. I remember one kid on this site got the old…see you next year…and then didn’t get an acceptance.

For your kid’s sake and yours…try to let each audition go and wait for the written acceptance or denial. It will be easier for him to do it, if you do it too. I know that it’s hard…but since you posted, I thought I’d reply.

Hang in there…I really don’t think that was a bad comment at all.

2 Likes