Personal Statement and Supplemental Essay Too Similar?

Just want to say this thread has some misunderstanding between us about the word “unique” :slight_smile: My view is that growing up without a mom is uncommon, difficult but not “unique.” Sorry for the tangent but it is at least marginally relevant. I think we all agree at this point and the OP has a good plan.

1 Like

The topic of what you write about isn’t as important as what you write. Do you have a sense of who you are? What have you done, or what has contributed to the development of your feelings, values, goals? Did any of this influence why you are applying to W&M and what you will do with W&M resources and education in the future?

2 Likes

Sorry I’m not saying it’s not unique. I’m just saying it’s important to convey your uniqueness because of this and not just say this is why I’m unique. Some substance to how this differentiates you if that makes sense…personality wise.

That makes sense. Colleges want people with unique personalities. Not just people who look unique on paper.

Sorry I think “unique” is being misused here, and I really don’t think you need to be unique to impress colleges. Your plan for essays is solid, and you have quite a bit of time to write them. Good luck!

My D wrote about curating a very large playlist and playing DJ to our family life, from road trips to rainy nights at home.

It was fun and upbeat, probably my favorite essay.

1 Like