Phi Kappa Phi!

<p>I think they could be eligible but the student’s courses don’t match up with Phi Beta Kappa requirements. It’s not that they couldn’t join it’s that the student wouldn’t typically meet the requirements.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.pbk.org/infoview/PBK_infoview.aspx?t=&id=50”>http://www.pbk.org/infoview/PBK_infoview.aspx?t=&id=50&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Here it is:Stipulation 1. Eligible students shall be candidates for a bachelor’s degree. The student’s record shall include coursework in the liberal arts and sciences equivalent to at least three-quarters of the credits ordinarily required for a bachelor’s degree in these fields (e.g., not less than 90 semester hours of work if 120 hours are normally required for such a degree). The liberal arts and sciences encompass the traditional disciplines of the natural sciences, mathematics, social sciences, and humanities. Select courses in other programs of study may be included only if they unambiguously embody the liberal arts and sciences.</p>

<p>Yeah, I read that too, but I can see some students having enough credits to qualify for this award, regardless of their major. So I was just curious if eng’g and business majors were specifically excluded for some reason, as ChicagoBear posted, above.</p>

<p>I think M2CK’s son was in Phi Beta Kappa. One son was a math major and one was a ChemE major. She had a post on how it was done. I don’t know how to search for it. HTH</p>

<p>I guess in clarification I would say non-liberal arts students are practically excluded due to the requirements of their programs. I can’t speak to ABET engineering programs, but as for AACSB business programs, you need approximately half your credits (60) in business topics. If you are an accounting major, due to prescriptive state CPA qualification requirements, you also only have at most a couple of electives. That is the reason for the inter-disciplinary (Phi Kappa Phi) and business (Beta Gamma Sigma) honor societies. </p>

<p>Edit - I looked at the CV’s of my son’s business professors, no PBK’s. However, lots of Beta Gamma Sigmas and Phi Kappa Phi’s so this isn’t a new development. </p>

<p>FYI - some more detailed explanations from other schools websites.</p>

<p>From Penn State’s website:</p>

<p>The requirements for a student to be invited into membership in Phi Beta Kappa include:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Candidates must have a non-professional major in the arts, humanities, social sciences, or sciences. Most majors in the College of Liberal Arts, Eberly College of Science, College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, and College of Arts and Architecture are acceptable. A few majors in the College of Communications are also considered non-professional. Majors in the College of Agricultural Sciences, Smeal College of Business Administration, College of Education, College of Engineering, and College of Health and Human Development are considered to be professional majors and are not accepted for Phi Beta Kappa membership; however…</p></li>
<li><p>Any student who has taken 75% or 90 credits in approved majors is also eligible for Phi Beta Kappa. Such students should request a review of their transcripts from the chapter president.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>From Pitt’s website:</p>

<p>Beta Gamma Sigma is the national honor society serving business programs accredited by AACSB International, The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Membership in Beta Gamma Sigma is the highest recognition a business student anywhere in the world can receive in a business program accredited by AACSB International. It is equivalent to Phi Beta Kappa in the liberal arts. Membership is by invitation only to qualified Juniors and Seniors. </p>

<p>Phi Kappa Phi is an honor society open to students in all academic disciplines. To be invited as a junior, you must be in the top 7.5% of your class. To be invited as a senior, you must be in the top 10% of your class.</p>

<p>Like most things it is a sense of accomplishment. I’ve put it on resume’s but nobody has ever asked about it. Back in 1984 at University of Md it meant a pin, a certificate and a reception dinner. Nothing after that. Magna Cum Laude on the resume did get notice in the past (when it was fresh).</p>

<p>FWIW: I went ahead and paid for this membership. I called the # on the e-invite for further info. The ceremony is a rather formal one - smart business attire is expected - and starts at 4 pm; dinner reception to follow. She could not give me an exact indication of how many students were invited this year. Students will receive a membership certificate, pin, and other materials. Monday, March 31 is the deadline for this year’s inductees to submit their membership reply.</p>

<p>My S got this invite, too. I balked when I saw “$95.” But, if it’s a prestigious society, I will gladly foot the bill. I don’t know one of them from another – except Phi Beta Kappa!</p>

<p>It looks like D won’t qualify for Phi Beta Kappa because she hasn’t taken through intermediate level of a foreign language. She’s only taken two semesters of French, and that just qualifies as elementary. She’s a music minor. Wonder if they’d count music as a second language? (I’m sure they don’t, but it would be nice.)</p>

<p>Does anyone know when Phi Beta Kappa invitations are extended?</p>

<p>I believe my son got his PBK invite in early April last year. We went to the ceremony. as it was the day before graduation. Very nice, too. Met a few CC parents there! Son was particularly surprised to receive Alabama’s PBK scholarship, which he will use for law school. </p>

<p>Thanks momreads!</p>

<p>I’m looking to order Phi Kappa Phi regalia for graduation. Offered are a stole, medallion, and honor cords. Any parents of Bama graduates whose kids were members had their kids wear these at the graduation ceremony? Also, if I remember right, Phi Eta Sigma, the freshman honor society, allowed a student to wear a special tassel at graduation. Anyone know how to get that regalia as well?</p>

<p>For those who received PBK invites, did your students have a two full years of a foreign language? (Still wishing music would count as a foreign language for D!)</p>

<p>The UA chapter of Phi Kappa Phi has honor cords for all members. The faculty/staff representative works in the Ferguson Center and should have a box of the cords.</p>

<p>^^^So, do the kids go to the Ferguson Center to get their honor cords for the different organizations? Is there a certain office they go to? I know my son has not been able to make any meetings this semester because he has a night class when the club meets, so he will have to pick up honor cords outside of the meeting time. Thanks for any help you can give.</p>

<p>The UA contact for Phi Kappa Phi is Stacy Jones, who is in charge of the cords for that organization and works in the Office of Student Affairs on the main floor of the Ferguson Center. From what I remember, there is a span of a week or so where students can pick up cords at a table set up outside her office or inside her office. The UA contacts for other organizations would be listed on the organizations’ websites. </p>

<p>Montegut, my son ordered some of his honor cords from various organizations. Others just sent them when he joined them.</p>

<p>Montegut: Some cords are given free but others do require a small payment and shipping charge. This doesn’t bother me, as I know it is just another way for organizations to fundraise.</p>