Phone in college

I know i am going off academic discussion , but any help will be appreciated .
I am an international student and will be coming to study in University of California . Is it cheaper to buy a phone on contract in US than getting an unlocked phone and getting a sim. and are there any benefits of getting a phone on contract than unlocked.

In the US, different carriers run on different systems, so it can be difficult to bring a telephone from outside the country. Some will work here with a new sim, but you need to check each phone model and each carrier. Your UC and a lot of places nearby will have free wi-fi, so as long as your phone can access that, you will be able to communicate with wattsapp, facebook, etc. You won’t need a phone immediately.

If you can bring your phone, that will be less expensive than a contract. But you should also investigate prepaid phones (sometimes called “burner phones”). You can get those at a lot of places including 7-Eleven, CVS, Walmart, etc. and pay for usage as you go.

Is it going to be more expensive in long run to buy a phone on contract as i am going to need a phone in college anyway . Will there be any benefit of getting it on contract than unlocked.
P.s my old phone is shiity so i need to get a new phone anyway