Phys 218

So I am a freshman about to start classes at A&M in the fall and I signed up for classes about a month ago. I’m the first in my family to go to such a big university and being such, I was really lost when signing up for classes. I got the one’s I wanted but I got William Bassichis for Physics 218. I Don’t know anything about him except for the negative reviews he has on ratemyprof. Can someone tell me how good of a professor he is? If he’s helpful in his office hours? Also, what textbook does he require? I see that on the Howdy Textbook portal it says his book is required, but I heard that University Physics is a lot better and has more practice problems. Should I buy his book? Is it any good?

Thanks

My son had Don’t Panic Physics with Tatiana Erukhimova, He really liked the more conceptual approach and though that Dr. Eruknimova was a great teacher.

Did you know if he had a lot of practice problems with the text? Or if there was like an online site, like MasteringPhysics?

@FenderFan54 I don’t know what was in the text. I do know that he would work through ten or so old TAMU exams for each of his tests.

I had a University Physics class. There were group quizzes with each lab day. Lectures had clicker questions. Class is made to weed out people. There were 300+ students in my class and by the end of the semester there was only about 140 of us.

Just brace yourself. Physics is a weed-out course and the tests are extremely hard. Almost all of the professors curve their end grades, but your first low test score will shock you. My son aced AP physics in High School and scored a 5 on his AP exam. He about flipped after his first 218 test. He scored a 48 on the second test after studying for hours. Watch the class average. If you stay ahead you will be okay. My son ended up with an A in the class, but his test scores ranged from 48 to 85.

Although my son did not have Bassichis, I have read that he is pretty hard. These physics classes are some of the hardest you will take in your freshman year.

My son had Bassichis and he did not curve at all.

I have posted this repeatedly, I should get a commission :). First I know Tatiana is an awesome professor. My son had her start of one semester but had to wirhdraw. His profs werent as amazing. My S said he learned it from practice, studying with friends, reading the book and A+ tutoring. He used University Physics first semester and Don’t Panic 2nd and didn’t have a real preference. My S didn’t have Prof Bassichis but he was a prof he would have chosen if scheduling worked. From what I have heard checking in with him dduring office hours is a good idea if you are having problems. Now the promotion: A+ tutoring was the key. The sessions are at crazy late hours but my son said they made the difficult concepts make sense and he completed his physics requirements feeling that he had a solid grasp of physics. He aced both classes and would have with or without a curve. The tutoring isn’t free but doesn’t cost more than some textbooks. It was well worth it.