Physics at Geneseo

<p>We will be looking at NY colleges for my son shortly. Anyone have any information on the quality of the physics program is at Geneseo? Anyone have personal experience with the department?</p>

<p>GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo’s physics department was second among the nation’s more than 500 primarily undergraduate institutions for producing the largest number of students graduating with physics degrees from 2008-2010, according to data recently published by the American Institute of Physics (AIP).</p>

<p>Geneseo averaged 26 graduates per year in the classes of 2008-10. Only the U.S. Naval Academy in Maryland graduated more with an average of 31. </p>

<p>“The AIP statistics confirm the quality academic program we have built here at Geneseo, and I credit the hard-working and creative faculty and staff in our department for the sharp increase in the number of majors we have seen in recent years,” said Charles Freeman, professor and chair of Geneseo’s Department of Physics and Astronomy. “All of our students truly receive an outstanding education in physics, and a very large number work closely with our faculty on a wide variety of high-impact undergraduate research projects. This allows our students to gain valuable hands-on experience and to immerse themselves in an area that piques their interest.”</p>

<p>SUNY Geneseo’s Department of Physics and Astronomy prepares its students for a variety of careers including engineering and related fields, teacher certification and research in industry or graduate school. In addition to teaching, the department’s eight full-time faculty members are involved a variety of research projects, providing numerous opportunities for undergraduate students to get involved in research with faculty during the year and in the summer. Many students involved in research travel to physics conferences with faculty to present findings to a wider physics community.</p>

<p>The AIP is a not-for-profit organization that promotes the knowledge of physics and its application to human welfare.</p>

<p>@artie1 - One of our sons is attending Geneseo this coming fall for Physics. We visited there a few times, but also visited other schools he was accepted to like University of Rochester and Clarkson University. We really extremely impressed with both the faculty as well as the current Physics students we were able to meet. Their Physics department is really a standout at an already impressive college. You might also want to check out this info: <a href=“http://www.geneseo.edu/webfm_send/5712[/url]”>http://www.geneseo.edu/webfm_send/5712&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>By the way - their new Science facility is very impressive!</p>

<p>Thanks JEDad2013 and Fatherli- That’s what I was hoping to hear. Looking to get the best value for my son’s education- Geneseo sounds like good choice.</p>

<p>In case you haven’t seen this new press release, Geneseo was #1 in the nation in awarding undergraduate physics degrees!</p>

<p>[Geneseo</a> #1 in Nation in Awarding Undergraduate Physics Degrees | SUNY Geneseo](<a href=“http://www.geneseo.edu/news_events/geneseo-1-nation-awarding-undergraduate-physics-degrees]Geneseo”>http://www.geneseo.edu/news_events/geneseo-1-nation-awarding-undergraduate-physics-degrees)</p>

<p>HI JEDad how is your son enjoying Geneseo?</p>

<p>Hi GCmom415,</p>

<p>He is doing well and enjoying Geneseo very much. Physics is keeping him busy along with Calc 2. He is also taking the Honors Seminar classes as part of the Edgar Fellows program and is in two music ensembles and taking instrument lessons. So, he is busy enough to stay out of trouble. He has made some good friends within his dorm and within his major. They are working on cooking a Thanksgiving meal in their dorm before they leave on break. I believe he is very happy with his choice. It’s a very warm and supportive environment.</p>

<p>And how is your daughter enjoying Geneseo?</p>

<p>Hello JEDad2013- Glad to hear your son is doing well there.</p>

<p>Has he said about how many hours a week he is putting in studying? We were also looking at Cornell for my son and someone posted that their son was spending 20 hours a week studying for just one class.</p>

<p>Is it the same at Geneseo?</p>

<p>I don’t think he has spent 20 hours in a week for one class. He and a small group of new physics majors have formed a small study group (about 5 students). They have times where they have spent 6 hours straight working on their physics assignments. Group work is not discouraged at Geneseo, as long as everyone is learning the material. I guess it is pretty challenging though. But he does have time for other activities, including music ensembles, gaming club, ping pong tourney, and even swing dancing, so I think it’s a good balance. He also has a work study of about 10 hours a week. But, I would guess he’s putting more than 20 hours total into his school work outside of class and labs. The Physics department is a tight knit group. I know one of his Physics friends was also accepted to Cornell, but decided on Geneseo. I’m sure the Cornell program is excellent, but unless you are getting very good aid, I don’t think you can beat the bang for the buck for Physics at Geneseo. He can always continue his Masters at Cornell and save a bunch for his undergrad. If you haven’t done a visit yet, definitely do that, and make sure you attend the separate session for the Physics students. I think you will be impressed by the department, and also how much of a team/family environment it seems to be. It is not cut-throat, but more cooperative.</p>

<p>Very helpful JEDad2013. Thanks for all the info!</p>