Physics at VT

<p>Does anyone have credible information about Physics program at VT? I have heard a lot of rumors about the physics program being really bad, but not from any good sources. How are the teachers? the opportunities for undergraduate research? the physics community in general?</p>

<p>The rumors you hear are somewhat accurate.</p>

<p>A man named Dr. Chang used to teach physics, but he does classes for the ESM department now. There are only two alright teachers in the department: Joyce and Kahn. Physics grades are usually heavily curved, and, for the most part, the teachers blow at getting the material across. On my last Physics 1 test, for example, the class average was 35% but got curved to a 75%.</p>

<p>Also, they rely on this online homework called MasteringPhysics. It’s super picky and time-consuming, thus causing people to just google the answers as opposed to learning the material.</p>

<p>I have learned quite a bit in physics here, albeit, I mostly self-study a lot from the book to understand the concepts. </p>

<p>tldr; the professors for physics here suck, but you can grasp the material by working hard.</p>

<p>I believe the physics department’s had a good amount of trouble. I think they lost accreditation, and their professor turnover rate’s been pretty high in the past 4-5 years.</p>