Physics at W & L

How is studying physics at W & L? There is a past thread but posted 10 years ago. Looking for an update. My son is in love with the campus, mock convention, and liberal arts opportunities. He is curious about the Physics program, research opportunities and faculty.

While I can’t answer your question (my D is an incoming freshman…chemistry/communications on premed track), I can share what she did during the last application cycle. She reached out to Admissions to request Zoom calls with faculty and current students in her areas of interest (academic interests and extracurriculars). She was very pleasantly surprised at the generosity of time and information shared by both faculty and students. Plus she received multiple follow up emails encouraging her to reach out again if she had any questions.

Good luck to your son this year!

2 Likes

Course Offerings : Washington and Lee University suggests that most upper level courses are offered only occasionally, so that you may have only one chance to take each one during the two years you will be there after completing the lower level prerequisites.

The department has 7 regular faculty and 2 visitors, according to Faculty and Staff : Washington and Lee University . However, it is spread thin because it also offers (non ABET accredited) engineering.

3 Likes

My son has only been there one year, but he’s had a great experience with the physics department so far. Research opportunities are available and the professors are very responsive and willing to help students reach their goals.

2 Likes

I get flamed every time I say this on CC, but IRL unless your son is already well advanced in physics, he won’t limit his future options (which is the real question, yes?) by choosing W&L. That’s b/c the core UG physics program is pretty aligned across the country (not my opinion- straight from physics profs at several US unis across a range of selectivity). The difference is that a larger school will have more options, more often, and a wider range of research opportunities. So, a well- advanced physics kid may well find the options too limiting at most LACs, but the typical kid who has maxed out at honors / AP physics probably won’t. This is especially true at academically selective colleges who will mind their students, creating independent studies etc to broaden their horizons.

pro tip: have your son talk to his advisor from Day 1 about summer research internships. A good path is to do (paid) research on campus summer between 1st & 2nd year then apply to REUs / similar for the summer between 2nd & 3rd year.

bona fides: been there/done that!

4 Likes

This was twenty years ago, but my buddy was a hotshot physics major at W&L, did research with his professors of course, and apparently by the time he graduated was one of the most sought-after undergrads in the country for grad programs in his desired sub-field.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! This is great input. My son emailed his admissions counselor. Hoping to hear something soon.