Physics major?

<p>I am interested in studying Physics. I have heard that despite the size of the department it is still strong. I'm just concerned with their having only two physics professors (that I can find). Is anyone here in the physics program or know someone in it? Any input would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Hey Boognish,</p>

<p>One advantage that Hampshire has over most LACs is the 5-college consortium. As a physics student, you'll in fact be expected to take classes at the other schools (Amherst, Mt. Holyoke, Smith, and UMass-Amherst). </p>

<p>The consortium means that you'll never run out of courses as UMass has all the graduate level physics courses you can take. Also, since you'll have access to the physics departments of 4 other schools, you have your pick of the best professors from each place. </p>

<p>The physics professors at Hampshire are Fred Wirth and Herb Bernstein. I would email them with any questions you may have. They're very approachable. FYI, Herb taught the physicist Lee Smolin. </p>

<p>If you're interested in astronomy, Hampshire is part of the 5-college astronomy department. The 5 colleges basically got together to form one department among 5 schools.</p>

<p>The science professors at Hampshire are very collegial-they leave their office doors open, there are sofas in the hallways where students can just hang out or study, and the students can become members of the School of Natural Science with voting privileges regarding administratrive or program issues.</p>