Pictures of a Freshmen Dorm Room

<p>I thought we could use a thread that was labled as pictures so that future students could find it more easily. If anyone else has pictures, please post them in this thread. I know I found pictures to be very helpful when trying to decide what I needed to buy for my daughter.</p>

<p>thanks for posting the pictures-very helpful! i was wondering if anyone has a picture of a single in hecht or stanford or knows details about the location of singles within the dorms</p>

<p>Can anyone shed any light on bed sizes, and the dimensions of the dorms?</p>

<p>Here is a link to a diagram of a freshmen dorm room. Measurements are 18" 7" x 10" 8".</p>

<p>Beds are a twin long.</p>

<p>[Hecht</a> Residential College | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,29532-1;29628-2;29623-2;29618-2;29615-3,00.html]Hecht”>http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,29532-1;29628-2;29623-2;29618-2;29615-3,00.html)</p>

<p>We really didn’t get a good look at the dorms - your pictures are the most we have seen (thank you) - quick questions though I am sure I’ll have more… are there closet doors?.. is the mirror on the wall standard or did you bring it? … anything you can tell us about the rug you buy on move-in …is it for the full room?</p>

<p>What’s the scoop on full length mirrors? Do you get the inexpensive ones from BBB and stick them on the inside of the door, with Command tape?</p>

<p>Closets have accordian style doors, but everyone just leaves them open.</p>

<p>There are mirrors over every dresser.</p>

<p>They will have a truck on campus that sells rugs for a fairly reasonable cost (we are thrifty, so when I say reasonable you can believe it!). They come in many different sizes and patterns. Much easier to just get it there than to try and bring one with you! </p>

<p>We also put her stuff in a nearby storage facility for the summer. It had student rates. 4 kids split one for $30.00 each for the summer. So you can throw the rug, fridge, microwave, etc. in storage and use them again each year. </p>

<p>Not sure about the full length mirrors. My daughter’s room had one mounted on the back of the door,but not all rooms had one.</p>

<p>I think there are 4 singles per floor and that they are at the 4 corners of the building. Not too sure though.</p>

<p>Thank you so much:) Another quick question…we heard that one of the drawers can be locked, is this true?</p>

<p>yes, they will give you a key upon checking in. Very handy to have for any valuables or important papers that you might bring with you.
You can see in one of the pictures above that the top drawer has a lock on it.</p>

<p>hey did yu buy those shelves in yur daughters dorm pics? or were they there</p>

<p>If you are referring to the shelves above the desk that have the wallpaper behind them then no. Every room has those shelves. Her room had the wallpaper, most did not.</p>

<p>Would you recommend lofting the beds? Also, are all teh bed lofts like the one in the picture? :slight_smile: thank you</p>

<p>Yes, I would recommend it. You really get so much more room for your stuff this way. Just make sure you buy a comfy chair so you have something other than your desk chair to sit on. Some people do not like lofts because of having to climb up and down the ladder. The loft pictured is the only one allowed at Miami. They use one company and only offer one style. Here is the link:</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.bedloft.com/[/url]”>https://www.bedloft.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>What room number(s) is the bathroom next to in Walsh/Stanford? Is it the same on every floor?</p>

<p>The rooms are on the “outside” of the towers and all have windows. The bathrooms are on the “inside” of the towers and I think there are several and each has two doors. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.</p>

<p>Thought this might help. This is a link to a video I shot while on the campus tour of the “show” dorm room at Hecht:</p>

<p>A big thank you kimaple for sharing your video. Very helpful.</p>

<p>That video is so great! Just the reason I started this thread. I would have loved to have seen that before we moved my daughter in! Thanks!</p>

<p>Thanks so much for that video! really helpful!
I was also wondering if using bed risers was common at UM. Like instead of getting a bed loft, rising your bed to have a small storage area underneath… if so, any recommendations?</p>

<p>Does anyone know the measurement from the underside of the mattress to the floor? Can you use a regular bedskirt of 15" when combined with bed risers? If so, what height of bed risers? 7"?</p>