Pitt Honors Discussion 2025

We just returned from a fantastic Pitt visit. Stayed at Oaklander and it was great.

3 Likes

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. It was nice and right on campus.

Thank you to all who gave the suggestions about hotel stay . We stayed at Oaklander Marriott - Autograph Collection. Neat and clean . They had valet parking for $35 / 24 hours.

Campus tour - 1 hour 15 minutes
They gave admitted students a bag , T shirt and a face mask.

Sutherland dorm seems to be a little far away from the Cathedral but Sutherland seems like a good dorm . There are frequent U Pitt buses .
Had dinner at the Porch - good place
I believe U Pitt students can do 1 courser per semester at CMU

2 Likes

Has anyone successfully appealed for more money with a competing offer from another school? Just curious: thanks in advance

1 Like

We were not successful trying for more merit.

1 Like

Thanks. Do you recall how long it took for them to respond?

Maybe 48 hours?

Hi, I did and was successful! I am IS and was originally given no merit, which was kinda to be expected. I contacted admissions anyway, and to my surprise, I was given a $5,000 scholarship/year. Best of Luck!

1 Like

One of the 12 Chancellor’s Scholarship winners here (the most prestigious scholarship offered by Pitt - full tuition, board, off campus housing, research, study abroad, and meals paid for)! Let me know if you have any questions about my essays/stats/ecs!

Well, months later and even though she sent a personal email asking if she was accepted into honors and she WAS, there is STILL nothing that mentions it in her document center AT all. the person who she emailed said it must be a Covid glitch, but then nothing even came in the mail. Sorry Pitt! We went and visited and it was actually pretty nice, but I don’t have confidence that things are being run efficiently. I’d have loved my daughter to go to Pitt because its within a reasonable drive, but if they can’t get admissions docs right, that’s foreboding. They did mail her TWO notebooks though and some really cute cards a t-shirts , but NO welcome to honors or anything of the sort. Her original application also took a really long time. Like I said, I think there is an issue in their system or something. Not gonna risk it!

1 Like

Same issue! It’s bizarre.

Could you tell me who you sent your appeal to? We are in a situation where Pitt ended up being a last minute choice and as a result didn’t get any merit aid. Figured it didn’t hurt to at least ask for consideration. However we are new to this and are not sure who to send the request to.

I specifically emailed back and forth with Steven Zyra who is assistant director of admissions! pitt.admissions@pitt.edu is the email that I first sent and he was the one who got back to me. His specific email and phone number is sjz9@pitt.edu and 412-648-1290. I hope that helps!

Thank you so much. Not sure it will make a difference, but definitely worth a try.

For anyone who would like to know, we were able to ask for and receive a merit scholarship based off my daughter’s appeal. While not huge, $5000 per year was the deciding factor as to whether or not she would go to Pit. So yes, they will reconsider, if you appeal.

1 Like

BlockquoteIt’s really weird that it’s called honors
 I didn’t get an email in work time about honors, but she emailed to ask and heard she was accepted

what do you mean, what award letter?

BlockquoteBlockquoteHey everyone, got an email at 12 today giving me a link to admission documents. logged in to see via employee monitoring software “award letter” from pitt honors saying I was waitlisted, but dated 2/12. thought it was weird that it was called an award letter when i didn’t get in and that the email came 2 days later

Campus tour - 1 hour 15 minutes
They gave admitted students a bag , T shirt and a face mask.

Congratulations! I’m new to this site though have literally read hundreds of posts this week
such helpful information. My son hoping to be competitive for this scholarship and thus, I’d appreciate any details you’re comfortable sharing.

My son also received this scholarship. He chose a different college though. But the best advice I can give you is to have him write an amazing essay in his honors application. During his interview his essay was mentioned a couple of times.

1 Like

Thanks so much. He’s attending a few “virtual” events this week and we’ll see what he thinks!

1 Like