Pitt vs MSU vs Cincinnati for engineering

I am trying to make a decision between these three engineering schools:
Pitt (45k with fafsa)
MSU (37k with merit aid)
Cincinnati (30k with fafsa and merit aid)
I’ve toured all three campuses and like them all, but I’m having trouble deciding. My top two choices are Pitt and UC because they are direct admit to mechanical engineering, and they offer good co-op programs. I am wondering if the higher prestige from Pitt justifies the higher cost. I’m also worried about not being able to leave the Cincinnati area after college if I go to UC.

Pitt:
pros
-love the campus and city
-closer to home
-well ranked for engineering and other programs if I decide to switch out
-co-op program
cons
-cost
-not a great experience dealing with the financial aid office

UC:
pros
-one of the best co-op programs
-liked the campus
-manageable cost
cons
-A bit far from home, might have to fly
-Not that highly ranked
-Unsure about the city

Any insight would be appreciated!

You have great options, congratulations! We know a ton of students at UCinci who have LOVED it there. Honestly I don’t know anyone who had a bad experience. Co-op is mandatory so your entire cohort will be there for 5 years. There is something nice about graduating with all of your friend group.

Did you get into honors there?

I’d take your lowest cost option and go to Cinci!

2 Likes

We did a day at UC and were pleasantly surprised at all it had to offer. Cincy is a great city. My son and I loved the way their engineering program worked. The fact that you are in dorms with other engineering students and they bring in tutors was nice.

He did get accepted but we are waiting to see all offers and scholarships before deciding. Costs/Benefit is a real calculation.