Placement Exams - Is this new info for the Math Placement?

<p>I don’t know if this new info for some, but it was for me so I thought I’d share it. </p>

<p>I didn’t know that the math placement needs to be done BEFORE Bama Bound. </p>

<p>MATH PLACEMENT ASSESSMENT</p>

<p>For all new undergraduate students, initial math placement will be based on ACT or SAT math score or previous college mathematics credit. If a student does not have one of these or wishes to try and improve his/her placement, he/she may take the online math assessment. This should be completed one week prior to Bama Bound. We no longer offer the math assessment at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>You can access the math assessment in myBama under the Academics tab in the Admissions pane (View more instructions as a PDF). You will receive a notification of course recommendation immediately upon submission of your assessment. The outcome of your math assessment efforts will be shared with your academic adviser at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>more info about placement exams…</p>

<p>[Placement</a> Assessments - Bama Bound Orientation - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html]Placement”>http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html)</p>

<p>The math placement exam is required for all freshmen with the following exceptions:

• You have math transfer credit that has already been approved
  • You scored a 29 or higher on the ACT math test OR a 640 or higher on the SAT math test AND you have successfully completed a high school calculus course (grade of C- or higher)</p>

<ul>
<li>Placement exams are offered for math, computer science, Spanish, French, German, Latin, and Russian.</li>
</ul>

<p>I’ve been assuming that AP credits for math override any initial placement. Correct?</p>

<p>Yes, this is a change from last year. My D didn’t have to take it, but her roommate did. The roommate had taken it online at home, but I recall others saying they were taking it during BB.</p>

<p>My daughter hasn’t taken AP Calc, but she received an email stating:</p>

<p>Welcome to The University of Alabama. To help make sure you have a successful and positive experience in your first mathematics class at UA, the University recommends class placement based on ACT/SAT mathematics sub-scores or a calculation of ACT Mathematics subject tests.</p>

<p>Your current recommended placement may be found in DegreeWorks, our online degree audit program. (Information on how to access DegreeWorks is outlined below.) Students who are not satisfied with their current placement may choose to go online and take the Math Skills Assessment one time only through their MyBama account.</p>

<p>I am assuming she doesn’t have to take the assessment because she is happy with her placement of math 121 or 125. Actually, she wants to take a class lower than her placement since she isn’t a math major. Is she able to do this? Or the better question is what is the lowest math she can take that will fulfill her gen ed requirement. She is currently in Honors Pre-Calculus, so should she take Math 110, 112, 113, 115?</p>

<p>*I feel weird asking this here since so many love math and want to take as high a calculus class as possible!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes. The highest placement you’ll see on Degree Works is MATH 121/125, but if you have AP or transfer credit you can start higher than that.</p>

<p>Linny…</p>

<p>If your D has the req’d ACT/SAT math score …AND…she will have passed high school Calculus, then she can go into Cal I without the placement exam. </p>

<p>But…if she doesn’t want to take Cal, she can take another math that will satisfy the MA Core req’t. </p>

<p>[Core</a> Curriculum – General Studies Course Listing | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-3]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-3)</p>

<p>If her major doesn’t require Cal, then fine. :)</p>

<p>Of course, those with AP Cal credit are fine to either retake Cal or move on.</p>

<p>CSM 116 The Mathematics of Compounding in Goal-Setting MA
MATH 110 Finite Mathematics MA
MATH 112 Precalculus Algebra MA
MATH 113 Precalculus Trigonometry MA
MATH 115 Precalculus Algebra and Trigonometry MA
MATH 121 Calculus and Applications MA
MATH 125 Calculus I MA
MATH 126 Calculus II MA
MATH 145 Honors Calculus I MA
MATH 146 Honors Calculus II<br>
etc…</p>