Placement Test

<p>How are we supposed to prepare for the placement test? Especially the language part. I have taken Spanish for only 3 years. I afraid the test is beyond my ability. Thanks</p>

<p>I don’t think you have to take the placement test unless you are going to take a language. My son took the Math and English last year.</p>

<p>You only take the foreign language placement test if you plan to take the same language at UW. It is used to place you in the appropriate level course. You can get retroactive college credits for HS work after finishing a UW course. Some people will have 4 years of HS foreign language but only place into the 3rd semester of it. </p>

<p>You need 4 years (or equivalent if including middle school) of foreign language for a BA from UW or 3 years of one plus 2 years of a second foreign language (only 3 of one for a BS). Therefore you are better off just taking 2 semesters of another foreign language to meet any UW requirements if you choose a BA (BA/BS- major doesn’t matter, the courses required determine eligiblity). No reason to take the foreign language placement test at all. You still get credit for your HS work to meet UW graduation requirements.</p>

<p>The math and English placement tests are mandatory. You will still have language arts classes so that is likely no big deal. For students taking calculus or who quit math before senior year you will want to brush up on things so you don’t need a remedial course (the rules have changed- I hear students taking calculus may not need to take the math placement test- check on the UW website). The UW website has info on this. Students from Wisconsin and nearby can take the tests soon or you can wait and take them the morning of the first SOAR day. No big deal to wait.</p>

<p>The placement test website has the sample foreign language tests posted (2nd link below has the Spanish sample exam).</p>

<p>[Center</a> for Placement Testing](<a href=“http://testing.wisc.edu/centerpages/spanishtest.html]Center”>Center for Placement Testing)</p>

<p><a href=“http://testing.wisc.edu/centerpages/Spanish%20Practice%20Exam.pdf[/url]”>http://testing.wisc.edu/centerpages/Spanish%20Practice%20Exam.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@Everyone: Thank you for all of the inputs and information. I appreciate it.</p>

<p>The rules for the placement tests changed either last year or this year. You are no longer able to take the Placement Tests during Soar. You must complete them before arriving at Soar, and there are new options for taking the tests. There’s the traditional paper and pencil method at a Wisconsin system locations (several sessions are already filled), there are some regional testing options, and there’s an online option at certain locations. The traditional method at Wisconsin system locations are free, you have to pay for the other options. Check out the info on the website, it’s very thorough. Not only do you have to complete the tests before arriving at Soar, but you must have scheduled your placement tests before you’re allowed to register for Soar.</p>

<p>Could someone help clarify the foreign language requirements? As a parent, I assumed it was placement testing or actual coursework for 4 semesters of college level language, and that students only get retro credit for the levels below which they test. </p>

<p>So that, say someone with 4 years of high school language only tests out of first semester of college level, once they get at least 3.0 in second semester level they get retro credit for first semester. But, they don’t simply meet 4 semester requirement of college level foreign language just by having taken 4 years at high school if they don’t test through fourth semester at placement test. I know some schools (Iowa) accept four years of high school level of a single language to meet the college requirement, but I didn’t interpret UW’s requirements that way, though I am happy to be wrong. </p>

<p>I am sure it will get sorted out at my son’s SOAR, but wondering in terms of his placement tests. Thanks.</p>

<p>No- the 4 years of HS foreign language work, no need to take any tests. This has been the case since my day eons ago. One reason to complete 4 years of the same language in HS- have all bases covered for a BA or BS. Some will choose to take a UW semester to get the retroactive credits. Most won’t as time can instead be spent taking other courses and the credits gained aren’t worth the effort. It is useful for someone wishing to continue in the language and would be taking courses in it anyhow (no need to repeat work).</p>

<p>Interesting to find out how they have changed placement testing now.</p>