Placement Testing

<p>So I was about to sign up for placement testing but notices that they dont offer hebrew for foreign langauge and that's the foregin language I took in high school. So what do I do? is foregin language requiered in madison? how will i get placed at the appropriate hebrew class (that is if i have to take it) without a placement test?</p>

<p>To be honest..i was just hoping to pass out of it :/</p>

<p>You might want to search the UW site, but I though I remembered hearing something about being able to request a placement test for some of the less commonly-taught languages.</p>

<p>your high school foreign language classes fill your requirements for your college foreign language requirements (at least for the business school). However, you don't get actual credit that counts towards your degree for the high school classes.</p>

<p>What does it take to get retro credits for all those classes i took in high school?</p>

<p>Once you have completed a higher level of that language, you will receive the retro credits. For example, if you place into French 3 - once you complete it successfully, you will receive credits for French 1 & 2.</p>

<p>Remember you are talking about placement tests, think about the meaning of the word- you only take a foreign language test if you want to take that language at UW, your score will determine which UW course you sign up for. You don't need any testing to receive credit towards meeting the UW graduation requirements, you get one semester for each year of a HS foreign language- the reason everyone kept telling you to take 4 years in HS is that it fulfills the L&S req. For the less common languages you will need to check with that dept for how to determine your placement, assuming you want to continue taking it. Don't focus too much on trying to get credits from your HS work, instead take a second, different, language in college. Also, the credits you get may not mean anything in graduating sooner, you may as well use the time to expand your horizons with other courses.</p>

<p>Wait, so if I took four years of Spanish in high school, would that fill the L&S requirement no matter how I did on the placement test or no matter if I got retro credits or not? I was under the impression for some reason that you had to test out of those classes in a college setting to get the requirements.</p>

<p>I bet all these questions are answered on their website!!</p>

<p>You don't even bother to take the placement test if you don't intend to take that language at UW. As always, check the UW website for the official information.</p>