Placement tests vs. AP Exams?

<p>Let's say you get AP credit for a subject, let's say English for example. Then you take the placement tests, but do badly on that. Does that mean you will have to take a more basic English class and not be allowed to use your AP English credit? Or can you opt out with the AP credit anyways?</p>

<p>You need 605/850 or better on UW’s English placement test to meet the Communication A requirement. But a 4 or 5 on AP English Language or AP English Literature will also meet the Comm A requirement.</p>

<p>Either/or is fine. You can wind up getting credit and skipping more classes with AP tests though than you would with the placement tests - those are more for just fulfilling requirements, with (I believe) the exception of foreign languages, you can get retroactive credits for that.</p>

<p>What kind of scores on the placement tests do you have to get to test out of classes?</p>

<p>I have no idea. The scores are weird, you don’t even really see them for a while. I vaguely remember people telling me it is hard to exempt Comm A, most people don’t, but I did. I think exempting QRA is easier, since I suck at math and I was able to exempt that as well. I wouldn’t worry a lot about it.</p>

<p>Also if you don’t know what Comm A and QRA are, they’re gen ed requirements. They’ll be explained to you so don’t worry about it.</p>

<p>UW Math Placement Test Algorithm (3 sections include Math Basics, Algebra, Trig):</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.math.wisc.edu/undergrad/placementalgorithm.pdf[/url]”>http://www.math.wisc.edu/undergrad/placementalgorithm.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Placement test scores are loaded into my.wisc.edu Student Center account 10 days to 3 weeks after spring testing. Click on Academics and then Placement Test Scores.</p>

<p>AP > Placement tests. I think you could technically just draw a smiley face with the bubbles as long as you have the AP credits–don’t see why students with AP credit have to take them tbh.</p>

<p>How many credit hours does the Communication Course worth? Are you saying that with English AP score of 4 or 5, one could avoid taking Communication Course A even with the sub 605/850 English placement test score?
Please clarify. Thanks.</p>

<p>Comm A courses - usually 3 credits.</p>

<p>AP English Lang or Lit score of 4 or 5 = meets the Comm A requirement.</p>