placement

<p>my orienatation info tells me I got english honors...for math it says info will be provided by ur advisor at orientation...am an international....so I guess I can only find out that orienatation....what abt placement exams...no one has told me ne thing abt them...when I call VT they either put me on hold or temme to call back later....how do I find out whetehr I have to take plcment exams or not? I am for gen eng..btw</p>

<p>I received a letter regarding a Spanish placement test I need to take after the second day of orientation activities. I am assuming you would receive a letter, however being an international I am not entirely sure how they would go about contacting you whether it be through e-mail or by letter. If you hear nothing by the time your orientation date rolls around I would recommend finding your advisor as soon as you can at orientation and consulting them about which placement tests you need to take.</p>

<p>I do not know if you can find out who your advisor is yet, as it is not openly listed for me on the Hokiespa website, but I personally would think that would be the best course of action.</p>

<p>Good luck, Sherlock!</p>

<p>From what I understand, Virginia Tech is tired of people flunking calculus (math 1205). So now they are using SAT scores and prior calculus classes for placement. If you got a 570 on the math portion of the sat or took a calculus class prior to coming to Virginia Tech, I'm pretty sure you get placed in calculus (math 1205). If you don't meet either of those, I think they are requiring you to take an easier elementary calculus beforehand. This is where the placement test comes in. If you think you should be in 1205, you can take the placement test and if you get a certain score, you can bypass the lower calculus to 1205, which is required by engineering and construction.</p>