Places to stay for Parents weekend

<p>As stated in the other thread, hotels near UA are either booked or going for a crazy rate for Parents weekend. Can someone suggest other towns close by that would be a good place to stay. I see Bessemer and Hoover are nearby. Would you suggest either of these?</p>

<p>From what direction will you be coming? If you’re coming in from B’ham, then anywhere in B’ham would work.</p>

<p>We will be flying in to B’ham but I thought it would be best to stay as close to UA as possible to limit the commute time back and forth. Sometimes we take some down time between activities and that is hard to do if you are staying far away.</p>

<p>frankly, it can be such a hassle to get back to your car, drive thru gameday traffic to get to any hotel for any kind of midday break, and then come back and then find a parking space!!!. Once you’re on Bama’s campus that Sat morn, I really doubt you’re going to leave until the game is over.</p>

<p>When people want a break, they typically walk over the The Ferg and hang out on the couches or chairs.</p>

<p>You can try Bessemer, but again, I highly doubt that once you’re on campus on Saturday that you’ll leave for any breaks.</p>

<p>I stayed in Hoover on a football weekend last fall, and the traffic out of town was horrible. The next morning coming back in was a breeze. Hoover had lots of hotels and restaurants close together and the area seemed new and clean.</p>

<p>Consider private rentals on Vacation Rental By Owner. Google VRBO Tuscaloosa. I can highly recommend VRBO #374379 the downstairs unit. Very nice owners, really cute place. Don’t hesitate to negotiate price off season…I did and made out great last month for a two week stay, less than 1/2 most hotels. The only consideration of this unit would be if you are over 6ft tall, the ceiling height isn’t real high, otherwise adorable, comfortable and well kept. All the comforts of home.</p>

<p>For the past couple years I’ve booked my family at the Greystone Inn and Suites in Vance, which is across from the Mercedes Plant about 15 minutes out of Tuscaloosa. For football games, they have an evening manager’s reception with wine and beer and a morning continental breakfast featuring mimosas and Bloody Marys. Calling them directly got me a rate of $149.99 per night for 2 queen beds; I got the last nonsmoking room with 2 beds.</p>

<p>Some may notice that the Motel 6 is $59.49 after a 20% off discount code. I have been there before and while it is reasonably clean, many families would likely prefer staying in Bessemer or Hoover and commuting.</p>

<p>Families travelling from points south of Tuscaloosa may prefer to stay at the Comfort Inn in Eutaw, AL for $129.99, possibly less, per night.</p>

<p>There are 2 ways to quickly get into or out of Tuscaloosa during heavy traffic, both of which are marked on the freeway. IIRC, they are located at exits 100 and 79. Many locals will use the exit 79 (US 11 to University Blvd.) route throughout the year to avoid traffic on McFarland Blvd.</p>