Planning for Move-In, August 2013

<p>@ddahwan - Thanks for the feedback on Sonesta - makes me feel better. I don’t believe we’ve ever had Peruvian food - but we’re always happy to try something new!</p>

<p>@crazed - Thanks for all of the good tips! I was just on BB & B’s website and read about their “Buy it here - Pick it up there” service. Sounds like a great option for us. You mentioned a printer in your list. Do you recommend they have their own in their room?</p>

<p>@crazed mentioned the Hyatt in Coral Gables. It is also a good option as is the Westin Colonnade in Coral Gables. I think they might be a little more expensive options but they might be quieter than the Grove. They are also a little closer to the U ( maybe by 10 min). Both hotels are walking distance from several restaurants. Ask if any run specials for UM move in time.</p>

<p>MiniSota,
We’ve had to change our hotel as our whole family will be there now so we are at the Sonesta. See you there! Did you get the discount corporate rate from UM? Enter UM100GCP into the booking and you’ll see a nice discount if you haven’t already.</p>

<p>Thanks Biocellar - I’ll check it out! See you there :)</p>

<p>@ddahwan–linymom has got me roped in now too! I’ll try and book my room at the Hampton tomorrow. So bring a couple more of those yummy sounding things for me! :wink: By the way, aren’t there two Hamptons? Which one should I book at?</p>

<p>Getting so excited now!!</p>

<p>I’ll bring mimosas</p>

<p>More pastelitos on the way (do not worry Sonesta crowd, we are 2 min away!). There is another Hampton Inn in Brickell. Brickell is 5 min from the Grove. You want the Hampton Inn in Coconut Grove.
@MiniSota- my son major is Engineering. Actually my kids are getting a kick out of this whole UM get together.
Anyways: if anyone has a car and do not mind driving 30 min north, IKEA has great stuff for dorms. A lot cheaper and cooler than BBB. There is also a BBB and Marshall’s not too far from the hotel ( Hampton Inn and Sonesta).</p>

<p>Just a reminder for BBB-
Shop early wherever you live. If the store that gets your list (ie- go to store in NY where you “purchase” on a scanner you shop with and the store you pick in FL actually bags it there and gets it ready for you. If they don’t have the item in stock, the NY store will ship it to the FL store.) Anyway, you can scan everything and anything. You don’t pay for it at time of shopping. Once you get to Miami, go drop off whatever you have that stays in the dorm room. Look around. Many of the items you pre-shopped for are no longer needed when you see the room itself. In Fl, you get your bags before getting on line to pay and can go through everything (there are big tables to do this) and discard all those items you don’t need. </p>

<p>Remember, dresser space is very limited but the closet is huge. If you have a daughter, maybe you need two of those hanging sweater racks. My son just used one for shorts as I stated earlier. Nothing bulky to pack so you have lots of hanging space. also, leave room for lots and lots of U free t-shirts that accumulate quickly. Don’t buy the bed risers as the beds are fixed in position and can’t be raised. Son didn’t need the under bed storage either. Closet has a long shelf for towels and linens, baseball glove, etc. Bookends? can’t remember if they were used, but get some anyway. Room on shelf and cabinet that runs along bed is a place for storage too. </p>

<p>Printer: Both sons went to school with one. There are places to print and many kids with them so you don’t have to purchase one if you don’t want to. If you buy one, get a small one!!! Also, one roomie can get TV or refrigerator and the other bring the printer. Lots of extension cords!!! If I remember correctly, they sell stuff outside the bookstore so you can shop there too. </p>

<p>Sonesta guests and really anyone in the Grove: remember to call your hotel and ask them to reserve your room high up and away from the main street. The Grove is a great location for walking around, eating and shopping. Hyatt was a further walk (and it is hot!!!) with less to see and do (though their pool area is awesome).</p>

<p>ddahwan- will miss you and your Cuban treats! Do you live in the Grove/ How do you deal with the noise? What’s the name of the great place to walk in the Grove?? Goes down to the water. Beautiful place for our friends to stroll and see the cute lizards! </p>

<p>Save room for gelato!</p>

<p>Thanks so much, crazed! So many hints and thoughts! I have one son in school at Roanoke College in VA, but each school and/or dorms are different. Getting excited! I wonder if IKEA has a similar set up to BBB where we can shop here and pick up there?</p>

<p>You place to shop and walk in the grove in Cocowalk. I live in the north Grove area so there is no noise. There is also a Residence Inn by Marriott in the Grove. It is walking distance to Cocowalk and might be quieter. Rates for August are $111 per night with free cancellation ( Expedia). $159 with breakfast (too much). Has a kitchen and free Internet. The Mayfair is a 4 star hotel in the Grove for $169. It is across Cocowalk. I know that most of you already booked your hotel room but there are other ideas that might also fit budget and are in the same general area.</p>

<p>Just booked at Hampton Inn! August 20-23. :-)</p>

<p>My son and I stayed at the Sonesta for Singer Weekend and enjoyed it.We were on a high floor, and there was no noise. I think we got a discount and free parking when we said we were visiting the U.</p>

<p>Hi everyone! My daughter just finished her first week at The U and it has been fantastic! She will be coming home to Chicago for fall break and I am about to book her flight. I know ground transportation to Miami is easy (Metrorail, right?) but I am tempted by the low fares out of Fort Lauderdale ($180 cheaper). </p>

<p>Is there a safe/easy/affordable way to get to Ft Lauderdale Airport from campus? By any chance is there a campus shuttle? Her Wednesday class ends at 6pm, so it will likely be in the evening. If that doesn’t work out, I will bring her home early Thursday morning.</p>

<p>GO shuttle goes to FLL. Also, there are shuttles that the U offers to the airports…I think the MIA ones are hourly and the FLL ones are every 2-3 hours. They can sign up for the school shuttles on their canelink closer to the date of travel. It is more expensive than to MIA, but the savings on the ticket for you are considerable. My DS has used GO shuttle and they are reliable.</p>

<p>You can take Metrorail to Tri-Rail and Tri-Rail to Ft. Lauderdale. The transfer of trains is a pain, but very cheap</p>

<p>Here’s a link to a previous thread on FLL vs MIA. <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1385545-getting-airport-fll-vs-mia.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1385545-getting-airport-fll-vs-mia.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My goodness, thank you for your prompt and helpful replies!</p>