Planning For Summer?

<p>I’m trying to plan how I’d like to spend this summer and am looking for suggestions or ideas. What resources are available on campus for something like this?</p>

<p>I’m a sophomore majoring in French and Political Science. My first choice would be getting an internship related to one or both of these fields in either NYC (I live right by there), Tuscaloosa, or even DC. However, I have absolutely no experience in these areas. My only work experience is working at a movie theater last summer, and I have done a moderate amount of volunteer work on campus. My GPA is good and I could get strong recommendations from professors in both of my majors, but I’m worried these factors aren’t enough to compensate for my lack of experience.</p>

<p>Also, I know UA does The Washington Experience, but there is no information for the 2013 year on their website – does anyone know if it is happening this summer?</p>

<p>start doing some research. ask around. find things to apply for. you may not be qualified, but you never know until you apply.</p>

<p>I would advise going to your professors/department chairs in your two majors and tell them what you would like to do. They often have connections to a variety of programs throughout the country. Also, go to the career center, as it receives information about summer opportunities. Since you are interested in poli sci, I would recommend contacting the local offices of your Congressman/Senator to inquire about internships. They are unpaid, but offer a chance to learn about the political system. My son did that following his freshman year, and it was a great experience. He was even invited to DC to meet our Congressman in person. I also would recommend contacting the Canadian government about its internship programs with Parliament. Your knowledge of French could be a plus.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the suggestion about Canadian Parliament. I thought of looking in both the US and France, but Canada is a wonderful idea that somehow completely failed to occur to me. I found an internship program that seems really great and would be relevant to both French and poli sci. Thanks!!!</p>