Playing a Unique Instrument

How much do you think playing a unique instrument helps in college admissions if you don’t plan on majoring in music in college?

1 Like

It isn’t a hook, if that’s what you’re wondering. It depends on what sorts of colleges you are thinking about too. Are you aiming high? Are you doing lots of solo performances with your instrument, teaching it to others, making your own music arrangements, recording videos, etc…? The more selective the college, the more you need to show deep interest and go beyond playing as part of the school band or practicing at home, if you want your unique instrument to be an asset to your app.

1 Like

My kid was a state ranked oboe and English horn player who also played in a Precollege wind ensemble and orchestra all the way through high school. She really wanted to continue to play in an orchestra in college and take lessons as a not music major.

She was able to find schools where this was possible AND who needed oboe players.

This didn’t help her a speck in her admissions. She was told this by the department chair people she contacted who told her they have some leverage with music majors but none with non-majors.

But others here have reported that their kids instrument playing DID help them get accepted to some college, although I have to wonder how they knew that.

The key for your kid…the college needs to have a need for a player of that unique instrument…in my opinion.

1 Like

it depends on the level of talent, commitment and accomplishment. Playing an instrument at a high level can help with admissions, even at top schools. Things like conservatory prep, youth orchestra and summer programs help. Competitions too though I dislike them.

You should submit a music resume (if justified) with a recording/video, music resume and letter(s) of recommendation from teacher(s) or maybe director.

You do not have to be a music major for this to be a benefit.

There is a music forum here on CC if you need further advice.

1 Like

In addition, I would strongly recommend your son contact the head of the music department at schools he is interested in. We found them to be very helpful in terms of explaining what opportunities the school and community offered in their area. In addition, this showed a lot of demonstrated interest to the music folks, which for our kid was a plus in terms of ensemble playing.

1 Like

It’s not the playing a unique instrument part, it’s the being passionate about it part. Colleges want to see that you are a person with interests, albeit if they are unique. I would say try to feature more of the “accomplishment” part rather than the “unique” part.

If it’s one that they need for their symphony, a lot. If it’s didgeridoo, nope.

I know that my kid’s very high level accomplishments on his symphonic and band instrument helped, because kids from his school virtually never get into HPYSM. His GPA was lower than most of the flock of perfect GPA, perfect SAT kids who all have been rejected over the past 15 yrs or so. I would go so far as to say that my kid had NO chance of being accepted to a tippy-top school without that extraordinary music achievement.