Please be sweet-- and give me a hand.

<p>I know, I know. A chance thread. I think I've read most of the literature on admissions and been told a couple of horror stories about how admissions work at UW, so I'd like the opinions of some well informed people who are acquainted with the university to tell me realistically if they think I can get in.</p>

<p>Female, Indian Citizen
In-State
Journalism/Music
GPA: 3.63 UW
freshman year: 3.49 -- C in math, B's in science, health, gym, A's in all else
sophomore: 3.75-- improvement shown over semesters, with a 3.57 and then a 3.85 thanks to improving math and science scores
junior: 3.75--i got an A first semester AP Bio, and a B second semester :(, B's in math</p>

<p>Rigor of Coursework: Accelerated Math, 5 APs so far and 10 by the end of high school, Advanced Sciences whenever possible, Advanced English and Social Studies</p>

<p>I go to a pretty competitive school. It sends people to Ivies occasionally.</p>

<p>APs: Taken- World History (4), Biology (5), English Language&Comp (5), Microecon (4), Psychology (5)
Taking: Chemistry, English Lit, French, Macroeconomics, Calculus AB</p>

<p>This the part where it starts to suck:</p>

<p>SAT I: 750V, 570M, 800W I am taking it again soon to improve my math score and might as well improve my verbal score (i hate how 3 wrong dumps you 50 points), and have a Princeton Review book filled with test-cracking strategies...</p>

<p>SAT II: 680Literature, 580 World History, 570 Chemistry
I plan on retaking Chemistry... but I don't actually think UW looks at these.</p>

<p>ACT: 28
I am also taking this again because I had about the worst test-taking experience of my life. (Cough+Tissues+Forgot My Pencils+Tiny, tiny desk+Distracting Proctors)</p>

<p>Extra-Curriculars (I hope these will help me get in): </p>

<p>Forensics/Drama- 4 years, have been really involved and spent many many hours a week preparing many different events and have won a lot of awards. I also coach my peers. I am in the fall play at my school. I've also gone to drama camp for a few summers and a few workshops.</p>

<p>Writing/Editing- I am on both school newspapers, I am set to be an editor next year likely for both. I am also on yearbook staff as a reporter. I also contribute poetry for our yearly Creative Writing magazine, and am in Poetry Club and have read my poetry to audiences.</p>

<p>Volunteering- I have gone to India and worked as a teacher for slum kids for about a month. This was probably the best experience of my life. Otherwise, I do other volunteering stuff with various organizations in my community.</p>

<p>Music- I do Solo & Ensemble, I have qualified for state, I have been in a State-wide choir for seven years and am now in the most difficult choir. I have gone to music camp the past two summers and I have knowledge of a couple instruments (Piano & guitar). I am also in school choir, and have performed solos at various events around the community, including a dinner with a state representative. I've also been in a few bands.</p>

<p>--> Sorry, this was really detailed. As you might be able to tell, I love UW-Madison and I really hope to get in. </p>

<p>Also, I'm wondering how much weight the essay gets in UW-Madison... I know that I can write a great essay, but I know it matters differently at different schools. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Check the chances chart on the UW website. Sounds reasonable- maybe 80%. Appy early and also to U of Minn and such schools as UW- EC and LaC for instate prices. Improving grades help. ECs are not as important.</p>