please chance...getting worried

<p>3.62 weighted, 3.42 uw
unfortunately, i had a bad Sophomore year (3.4 weighted both semesters) and an improved junior year (3.8 1st semester and 4.0 weighted second semester) (a's both semesters in ap us, but b's in spanish and a b 1st semester in regular english)</p>

<p>current sat scores, looking to retake -580 cr, 580 math, 610 w</p>

<p>ec's
i am a lead trumpet player and soloist in one of the best highschool jazz bands in the country.
music camp every summer
I volunteer at a free clinic
lifeguard over the summer (for $, not hours)</p>

<p>captain of the swim team
swim team all four years</p>

<p>It doesn’t look very good IMO. Luckily, any flaw can vanish with a great SAT score</p>

<p>While your extracurriculars may help you, I don’t think it is likely you will get in. All the same, I hope you become a Cane. To help your cause you definitely want to bring your SAT scores up as much as possible. Have you tried the ACT instead? Good luck!</p>

<p>Be sure to apply Early Action – your chances of getting in are better that way. There are students who would not have gotten in Regular who get in Early Action. If you apply Early Action and don’t get in that way they defer you to Regular so there’s nothing to lose.</p>

<p>If you have a great first semester, send another transcript when those grades are in. An upward trend in grades will help.</p>

<p>If UM has any events in your area go to them. I think it helps to show interest – admissions counselors do interviews in some areas. If you get to know an admissions counselor s/he can help.</p>

<p>Like rankinr said, try taking the ACT. You might do better on that and UM considers your better score. Also, they superscore, so you have nothing to lose by taking the SAT again.</p>

<p>Write a great essay. Start working on it NOW. Get an English teacher to proofread it and give suggestions for improving it.</p>

<p>Your ECs are good and they will help – they like to see leadership and you have that. Make sure you have good recommendations. I don’t know about a scholarship but I’d give you a 50/50 chance of getting in. More if you have a high class rank. They look at that along with grades and test scores – high rank can compensate for lower grades or SATs. Good luck.</p>