Please chance me for engineering, good stats but not the greatest courseload

Appreciate it, thank you. Apparently I did not pay attention to Syracuse’s naviance page, because looking back it’s definitely more in reach than I thought.

I don’t love the sound of an exclusively engineering-focused school, I think I’d prefer a larger place with a little bit of everything going on type of atmosphere, but I’ll look into ASU.

1 Like

Definitely run the Net Price Calculator for every school. Not every school will try to meet need and what they think is need is probably different than what you or your parents think is need. Do not go into much debt for any school - I think up to $20-25k of debt in total is probably manageable, but nothing more is worth it (IMO).

U of Arizona will be cheaper than ASU but neither will hit your #. For big schools you need U of Alabama and then @AustenNut suggested others like La Tech.

Oh, I totally didn’t take your post that way. Although I usually try and emphasize residential campuses, my focus in this thread was more on trying to meet OP’s family budget. Of course, it’s also helpful to hear from others about campuses. For instance, today in the 2023 parents thread they were talking about UMass-Boston and how campus life is changing there despite its classification as a commuter school.

I did try and put a caveat in about the religious nature of Cedarville, and I think that just looking at it’s home page that it will come across. But getting feedback from a community of posters is one of the best parts of CC. Did not take it as nitpicking at all. If there are other schools that I listed that you think are better than others, feel free to elaborate. It helps me to learn, too!

1 Like

Bingo, :100:, :heavy_plus_sign:

As an example, I’m going to quote a post I did earlier today that helps to show this point:

5 Likes

I think that’s what’s great about here - we can throw out some ideas that we find - and if there’s an issue with it, someone can respectfully correct it.

You come up with so many great ideas - frankly, it’s AMAZING!!

4 Likes

It is probably a good idea to take calculus as a preview, even though you will not get advanced placement for it in college.

Since you are finishing precalculus, you may want to try the quiz at rurci3 when you do so to make sure that you do not have any gaps in precalculus knowledge. If you do, be sure to review those areas before you go to college, since calculus in college will cover material at a faster pace than most high school calculus courses (other than BC that covers everything including the AB stuff in one year) and will assume a good knowledge of algebra and trigonometry.

1 Like

Kettering University in Flint, MI checks some of the boxes you DO NOT want - maybe too far away and mostly a technical school. But it has a solid engineering program, focuses a lot on the automotive industry, does offer some strong scholarships and has co-oping well built in to the program. Some students are co-oping even before they start classes helping them to pay for school.

Son of a friend of ours started there without having taken Calculus. Advisor/ professor coached him through the summer and he was ready by the time school started in fall.

It is, however, not a “prestigious” school, so may not get parent approval, but may become an affordable option with a good fit.

1 Like

I came upon this thread because my son is interested in civil engineering and searching other threads. As EconPop suggested, I was also going to suggest to look into U of Scranton. They just started a 4year electrical and mechanical engineering program, along with having a 1-2 year pre-engineering program. Since cost is also one of your factors, I have a senior there now and they do give good merit scholarships. Especially with your grades and SAT score, you will be sure to get something.
Their application is free so worth at least applying.

3 Likes

I don’t see on their website that they’re ABET accredited.

Are they? I probably would not go to a program that isn’t - not to say it’s not a fine program but many employers have a requirement that the applicant have attended an ABET school.

I see CS is - but I’m not seeing engineering.

Thanks

https://amspub.abet.org/aps/name-search?searchType=institution&keyword=scranton says that Scranton has ABET accreditation for computer engineering, computer science, and electrical engineering, but not mechanical engineering.

The mechanical engineering major is new as of fall 2020, according to Mechanical Engineering to be Offered at Scranton | Royal News: August 3 2023 . Prospective students should ask about the timeline for seeking ABET accreditation. ABET accreditation is not granted before the first students graduate from the program, but (if granted) it will be retroactive to the beginning of the program if it was seeking ABET accreditation as a new program.

3 Likes

And that would be the concern - that when you’re going for the first internship or job it might cause an issue.

Manhattan College, a similar school to Scranton otherwise, is ABET accredited for mechanical and 4 other engineering majors, which is why I suggested MC above. Their engineering program (begun in 1892) is much more established than Scranton’s while her stats and test scores put her in a similar position for financial aid there as she would be at Scranton.

3 Likes

I was just going to respond the same regarding their ABET accredited for computer and electrical. Since S23 is interested in civil, I did not look into their engineering that much since they did not offer civil. Kind of wish they had civil, he could of been a legacy like his brother. But my nephew is applying for mechanical and also applied to U of Scranton. Good to know to tell him.

We are in-state, S23 was already accepted to NJIT. I do believe their out of state tuition and fees are very reasonable looking at other schools we have applied to. Might be another one to look into.

Your stats are really good and wishing you best in your applications.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.