Please chance me for Purdue Computer Science

SAT: 1420/1600
GPA: 3.33 Weighted (Honors = 4.5, AP = 5.0)
8 AP Classes
AP Economics (Micro & Macro)
AP Physics 1
AP Physics C (Mechanics & Electricity) - Taking now
AP Calc BC
AP Government US - Taking now (next semester)
AP Government Comparative - Taking now
AP Literature - Taking now
AP Computer Science - Taking now

EC: Work consistent outside of school, 12 years of martial arts (1 black belt), founded 2 clubs (non-academic) and am president of 1 of those (the other doesn’t really have a need for a president).

2 Letters of Rec… 1 of those is almost certainly VERY strong (from Math Teacher), the other from a counselor.

I am pretty confident in my Essays and personal statements.

Emphasis on a large upward trend in grades. I did really poorly in freshman year and climbed back up into better academic standing in the following years, with senior year continuing in that record. Unfortunately in freshman year there was a death in the family and I didn’t take it very well, however I was able to learn from that experience and it pushed me to try to achieve the best of what I could achieve. I included this in my personal statement and I am under the impression that my counselor mentioned it too.

Please be honest with your assessment, I have been thinking about this every since I submitted my application a month ago.

Your GPA seems very low (was there a reason for this?) but your SAT is very good for the school. I think you stand a good chance but not a great one so try to find alternative options as well.

I had a tough time after my step-sister died in my freshman year and those grades pulled everything down pretty drastically, I am also applying to U of I (I know that ComSci is unrealistic but maybe the general studies?), University of Washington Seattle (I’m not super familiar with this one), Illinois State, and for my safety schools I have University of Iowa and Iowa State. (As in I am accepted to those already)

Thank you for replying, also in case this is important
SAT Score
Math: 710
Reading: 710
8/6/6 on Writing Portion

Solid AP classes, good SAT scores, compelling background to your struggles during freshman year. I like your profile. Any school would be wise to seriously look at your application!! I don’t know enough about the comp science program at Purdue to chance you…

@Sucrose Do you live in Iowa?

@MFHP96 No I live in Illinois

Look at the Data Digest, https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/; it may give you a historical perspective on how you compare to other applicants for the college to which you are applying.

Also, Purdue’s Common Data Set, see https://www.purdue.edu/oirae/resources.html, can provide statistical information at Part C that may be useful in helping you gauge your chances. It will also tell you, under Part C7, what factors are “very important,” “important,” “considered,” and “not considered” in admissions decisions. You can look at how you performed in these categories, and perhaps get some idea from that of your chances.

@gandalf78 is it possible to get these data digest reports for all UNv. this was helpful

@comom25: I’ve only come across the data digest on the Purdue website; and, yes, it’s really helpful.

If you search for “common data set” on most university websites you will pull up the yearly compilation of statistical information that the school provides, which can also have some useful data (although some schools don’t publish it in a CDS format), just not in the interactive manner that Purdue’s data digest provides.

@gandalf78 This was very helpful thank you. However I do wonder what you would say my chances are given specific circumstances.

The only opinion that matters is that of the admission people… Though the wait is nerve wrecking, try to relax and enjoy the last few months of your senior year!

SAT: 1510/1600 superscore (1470 regular)
Best Subscores; 790 math 720 reading
GPA: 3.96 Weighted (Honors = 4.5, AP = 5.0)
Significant classes:
AP Economics (Micro & Macro)
Multivariable Calculus - taking now
AP Physics C - Taking now
AP Calc BC
AP Government - taking now
AP Lang
AP Computer Science - Taking now
APUSH

EC: Work consistent outside of school, Math honors society president, two internships, go to an art studio basic clubs,etc.

APPLYING to ENGINEERING undergrad

Essays are pretty nice

SAT Math 2: 740

I had a pretty upward trend in grades (Do they see my first quarter or semester of senior year??)
Please be honest with your assessment, I have been thinking about this every since I submitted my application a month ago.

@boka You could probably make your own thread

@boka you’re kidding right? You ask for us, mere mortals, to chance you with such stellar stats?