Please chance me for UC's

<p>Hello guys, as you can see, I am new here but for more than a year, i have read the many threads created here on college confidential… With that out of the way. I would first like to say that this might be a long post sooo ya. It will include an academic, extracurricular, and personal portion. Thanks for reading! ;)</p>

<hr>

<p>Major: Computer Science and Engineering for all universities. (If not that then undeclared)</p>

<p>IN-state, African (From Ethiopia :)</p>

<p>Academic</p>

<p>UC GPA: BARELY :-S under 4.0 (~3.96 ish)
UN weighted (10-11th): 3.8 (I AM NOT SURE IF I DID THIS RIGHT but somewhere around 3.7)
Weighted (10-11th): 4.3ish

<p>10th grade schedule:
Algebra 2 Honors MYP (A,A)
Language Arts 2 Honors MYP (B,A)
Chemistry Honors MYP (B,A)
AP World History (D {SEE NOTE BELOW}, C)
PE :frowning: (A,A)
Spanish 2 Honors MYP (A,A)</p>

<p>11th grade schedule:
IB Spanish 3 (A,A)
AP US History (B,B)
IB Language Arts 3 (B,B)
Pre-Calculus Honors (A,A)
Web Design/Publishing (A,A)
AP Physics B (A,A)
TOK (N/A, A)</p>

<p>12th grade classes:
AP Spanish
American Government honors
IB Language Arts 4
AP Calculus AB
Graphic Design
Ap Physics C</p>

<p>ACT
-28 (Will try one more time…)</p>

<p>SUBJECT TEST:
Math 2: 700
Physics: 690</p>

<p>AP TESTS:
Ap world history: 2
AP US history: 3
Ap Physics B: 4</p>

<p>Note: AP world history: I am not going to make some lame excuse about how it was the teacher’s fault or that i had personal issues because well… i didn’t. I just was not ready for that amount of workload. By Junior year I realized if I did not shape up, I would regret it for the rest of my life, and honestly, I think I did change. Me and my counselor have been trying to change that “D” to a higher grade at a community college. I am currently taking the course and I am doing pretty well (B).</p>

<hr>

<p>Extracurriculars</p>

<p>CLUBS:
-Key Club (2 years)
-FBLA (1 year)
-Gaming Club (3 years) (Leader of this club; meets at lunch everyday to design videos and sometimes flash games)
-National Honor Society (2 years)</p>

<p>COMMUNITY SERVICE:
-125 hours school clean up
-50 hours local library employee assistant (kinda like intership)
-Relay for life 10 hours
-School festivals/fundrasiers 10 hours</p>

<p>JOB/WORK EXPERIENCE
-11th grade summer internship for a small web developing company</p>

<p>HOBBIES</p>

<p>-Code websites for fun
-Played the clarinet since the 7th grade</p>

<hr>

<p>Personal</p>

<p>Hooks: URM, low income (30k-40k), first generation college student</p>

<p>Personal Essay: ( I just started writing it last week) I started writing about my passions for computer science and web design and what I did during the summer of 10th grade to take it to the next level. Also talked a little bit about my family issues and not only how the hardships I have faced but, the competition from my fellow peers have influenced me to strive toward my goal and challenge myself.</p>

<hr>

<p>Wow… I felt like I wrote “War and Peace” over here. Anywho… I would like honest opinions for all UC’s please because trying to say i am a “safety” for UCLA is downright sad and will hurt my hopes in the long run.</p>

<p>I would like to thank you again for taking your time to read this.</p>

<p>My daughter applied to UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCI and Cal Poly SLO for Mechanical Engineering. She had an above 4.0 GPA and scored a 32 on the ACT and a combined 1980 on the SAT. She had slightly better extracurriculars and an impressive volunteer record. She took 6 AP classes and made all 4s and 5s on the tests. She got accepted into UCI’s CHP program and wait listed at UCSD. Turned down at UCB, UCLA and Cal Poly (granted, she picked a very competitive major at SLO). </p>

<p>It’s very tough getting into the upper tier UCs these days. You have another year to pump up your clubs/activities and you can definitely keep hitting the volunteer activities. What you really need to do is nail your senior year grades and bring up your exam scores. I highly recommend engaging in a formal, systematic study program - there are computer programs and books that you can buy to help you prep. I believe you can also take practice exams on the College Board website (with a paid membership). The hard work you do now will pay dividends for the rest of your life. Good luck!</p>