Please chance me!

<p>I'm a junior at a small private school.
My GPA is a 3.92 weighted.
I am a varsity member of mock trial.
I am in the National Honor Society.
I am in the Italian National Honor Society.
I am in the select chorus, and I have a job as a cantor at my local church.
I have received the highest scores in NYSMMA for piano and voice, level 6.
I was student vocal director for my school's production, and have been involved in some way for 3 years.
I am in the top 10 percent of my class.
I am involved in Model UN.
I am expecting to get a 2100 on my SAT's, based on full length practice ones.
I'm secretary of my school's service club.
300+ Hours of community service since freshman year
Took/Taking all available AP's and honors (APUSH, AP EURO, CHEM HONORS, ENGLISH HONORS, GEOMETRY HONORS, ALGEBRA HONORS)
Next year, I will be taking AP English, physics honors, college italian, pre calc, and AP government.</p>

<p>Columbia is my dream school. Does anybody think I have a chance? I'm applying early decision and have visited seminars, attended lunches, and visited the campus.
Also, My PSAT score was a 196. I live in New York. I was wondering what the usual cut off is for the NHRP?
Thank you!</p>

<p>Hi Andrea and welcome to CC and the Hispanic Students forum!</p>

<p>With an acceptance rate of about 11%, C has to be considered a reach for just about any applicant. I’m afraid the visits won’t count a lot as colleges like C don’t care about demonstrated interest since they have such low acceptance and high yield rates. I’m not sure how much higher the acceptance rate is for ED compared to RD, you might be able to find that out using the Search function over on the Columbia subforum.</p>

<p>Your PSAT score is great and very possibly qualifies you for NHRP, although NY will tend to be a state with a higher cut off. The best thing to do is to give NHRP a call and they will tell you what the cut off is for your state, or at least let you know what it has been in past years.</p>

<p>Keep taking the tough classes and prepping for the SAT, see the 25:75 scores for C here:</p>

<p>[College</a> Search - Columbia University - SAT®, AP®, CLEP®](<a href=“College Search - BigFuture | College Board”>College Search - BigFuture | College Board)</p>

<p>Have you taken any SAT Subject tests yet? You’ll need 2 for C in addition to either the SAT or ACT and will need specific ones if you are going into engineering. If you’re taking APUSH this year, the May or June sittings would be a great time to take the Subject test. And you could sit a second one at the same time, perhaps World History??</p>

<p>thank you, yes! I took Biology E and I received a score of 790. I am planning on taking the US history subject test, but I was also thinking about taking a language or math level 2. thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Great score on the Bio! A couple of cautions about the Subject tests, but not meant to tell you not to take them: some of the language Subject tests that have many native speakers taking them tend to have difficult curves; and the Math 2 is geared to be taken after Pre-Calc but it has an easier curve than the Math 1.</p>

<p>Best of luck, it sounds like you’ve got everything under control.</p>