Please HELP. In such a dire situation :(

Hello, people

I’m currently a sophomore at a university in MO and I live in CA. I recently came to a realization that the premed curriculum is not for me (both by school telling me I’m not really a good student with a good GPA and by my favorite academic field being other than health related fields) and I plan to go back to my state to start my new university life as I chose this current school because of the fabulous but **** BS/MD program. Besides, my family moved to CA two months ago so I have no other choice than leaving my school and helping my family out since I’m the only one who speaks English and understands American life.

Anyway, I decided to switch my major into Electrical Engineering and it seems to be really hard to make such a change within my campus due to the aforementioned situation. My university is a horrible in other fields than theology and premed stuffs.

I’d like to ask a question: Would it be better for me to reapply for the college admission for the fresh start? to attend a CC for a year? I know that the latter would be an easier choice instead but as I said I totally want to change my field of study drastically and as far as I know UC engineering very hardly accepts transfers, unless I was formerly majoring engineering.

I hope good answers :slight_smile:

If you are already taking college classes, you cannot start as a Freshman, you will be considered a transfer. For the UC’s, you need 60 semester units or 90 quarter units to apply as a Transfer, usually at Junior level. Your best bet, would be to attend a CA CC and use TAG (Transfer Guarantee) program for the UC’s. See link: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/transfer/guarantee/

The earliest you could apply would be Fall 2016 next year.

^ Of course I know that I cannot start as a freshman Gumbymom… What I’m asking is whether the latter is available for changing my major so drastically like that. If it’s possible, would you please teach me the chance I get into a UC engineering school with the education from a CC? It would be preferred if it’s for something similar to electrical engineering

^^ And I saw there were like “previous college or school” and blanks for filling out the credits for that. Can’t I shoot for that either?

You can use some of the class credits you have already taken at your current university and use them to fulfill the requirements needed to transfer to a UC. If you plan to TAG, you need to meet all the requirements on the TAG list which you can do at a CC and then you are guaranteed admission to the UC. Most applicants will take general education and pre-requisites at the CC since most would not offer Upper Division engineering classes.

Here is a link for UC Davis Engineering: http://tag.ucdavis.edu/counselors/criteria.cfm
just to give an idea of some of the requirments. Each UC will be different.

You will need to meet with your CC transfer advisor, so which classes will transfer from your current university and then plan out your schedule. UCLA/UCB/UCSD and UCSB (Engineering) do not participate in TAG but you can still apply. Decide which CC you would like to attend and contact them regarding your situation. They will use
www.assist.org to help with your classes.

Thanks for the helpful info Gumbymom, just one question unanswered: is it eligible at all for me use the UC application although I went to the classes in the other university?

What UC application are you referring to? You cannot apply to any UC until you fulfill the transfer required classes which would be at the earliest by Fall 2015. You then apply to the UC’s to begin instruction in the Fall of 2016. What you need to do now is apply to a CC in California so start taking your classes for transfer.

I mean the UC Freshman app

No, you cannot apply as a Freshman if you have taken classes at another university. You will be considered a transfer and like I stated above, you need to have 60 semester units or 90 quarter units completed prior to transferring. You will also need to see how many units of credit the UC’s will accept from your other school, so you need to talk to some one at the community college to help you with the transfer.

Thanks you’ve been a lot of help.