Please help me! Lots of questions from a perspective student!

<p>I'm really starting to think that the U may be the school for me..</p>

<p>It's small (great teacher student ratio), nice campus, good football team, good social life, and good academics.</p>

<p>I was just wondering if it is preppy like a southern private or is it full of guidos and SoCal types?</p>

<p>also, are you guys glad you came here? and what are some comparable schools in your opinon?</p>

<p>Thanks so much</p>

<p>hey i was looking at ivies/other top 25 schools and i came to UM b/c of scholarship among other things (awesome combination of things). im only a freshman but here are my first impressions</p>

<p>Academics are amazing. classes are pretty difficult yet atmosphere is not cut throat one bit.
social life is good in the sense that it’s diverse. you can spend the big bucks in south beach, go to the grove, see movie/bowling like 2 min from campus, lots of stuff going on campus, frat parties, house parties. a good mix. </p>

<p>there are a lot of ppl from long island/jersey that go to the clubs and such. but definitely not as much a party school as i thought it would be. everyone is serious about academics here.</p>

<p>also football is not as big as you’d think. im a huge fan but there are a good amount of kids who never go to the games. stadium is too far from campus</p>

<p>overall i love the school academically. im rushing a frat next semester and will see how that goes. great teachers/programs.
student body is EXTREMELY DIVERSE. kids from everywhere you can imagine and all really cool i’ve found.
amazing weather, lots of stuff going on campus/off campus.</p>

<p>comparable schools…duke, BC, maybe vandy?, im not too sure. UM is really different from most schools. message me for more questions!</p>

<p>What do you mean by guidos? That is an ethnically offensive term to describe Italian Americans. Just wondering JPC what’s your pedigree- not that it matters.I think that UM’s diversity would be lost on you since you are so ready to stereotype.</p>

<p>PS. I am a “guidette” summa cum laude graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and its law school. My son is applying to Miami because of its B school and the global perspective that its students and faculty have, which, in addition to it diversity are a major plus.</p>

<p>Based on the context, I’d expect that he means Wikipedia’s description of the term, which is “humorously thuggish with an overtly macho attitude and an unyielding pride”. Aka “stuck-up”.</p>

<p>Due to its proximity to Southern California, the University of Miami has tons of SoCal types.</p>

<p>These are guidos: <a href=“Guido Fist Pump brings Jersey Shore House Fist Pumping and Guidettes”>Guido Fist Pump brings Jersey Shore House Fist Pumping and Guidettes;

<p>Miami is nothing like a Southern preppy school. I just transferred from Miami to UNC and it’s a night and day difference. The student body is so much different, I like it more. Miami is comprised of mostly upper middle-class and upper class debutants and debutantes. A bunch of New York/ New Jersey individuals, though there’s a mixture between them. There are plenty of superficial and image influenced individuals, though there are a generous amount of students on scholarship who are regular. Miami is a lot like USC but with not as good academics. Academics are improving, but they’re still not up to par with USC and other comparable schools (Emory, WashU, Rice). Comparable schools to Miami in terms of the whole mixture of elements would be Tulane, Boston University, and NYU. A lot of students from Miami chose between schools like the ones listed above as well as Maryland, Penn State, University of Florida, Miami of Ohio, etc.</p>

<p>Hope this helps</p>

<p>mostly debutantes? This is starting to sound like not-the-school-for-me… Someone please dispute this claim</p>

<p>Oh please…my DS is very down to earth, we are not rich, he is on scholarship and has yet to meet a debutante…I don’t think that statement is accurate at all. My DS has alot of down to earth friends like himself, substance free is very popular and not everyone parties…some kids actually want to keep their scholarships and stay in the programs they are in and have high GPA’s.</p>

<p>Hey now,</p>

<p>I did say that are a generous amount of people on scholarship who do their work, that’s who my friends were too for my time at Miami. But that stereotype does exist and there are plenty of spoiled kids, for proof, two of the freshmen from last year were on MTV My Super Sweet 16. I know students who have private jets and homes all over the world, take that for what its worth.</p>

<p>My D is also very down to earth. She has lots of friends who are rich, yet down to earth. Having rich kids with lots of money is something that you will find at all the privates, goes with the pricetag. Obviously Miami was not for you. I am glad you found someplace more suited to you.</p>

<p>BruinsJEW</p>

<p>You are confusing me. You posted this on another thread today and it seems to contradict your post here.</p>

<hr>

<p>I can attest for all the comments already posted in the thread. Being from a wealthy suburb in South Florida, it was no surprise to me that Miami would be any different. For my first semester, I let my preconceived notions and very narrow minded persona distract me from seeing the other side of Miami. It left me in a very unhappy state so I decided to block out all the wealth and see Miami from a different light. I got very involved in the Jewish community which was filled with a mixture of students, from students with money who were fair-weathered friends to middle-class individuals who were on scholarships and had the same academic-orientated goals as me. Outside of Jewish life, I was very outgoing and met many and a whole diverse group of students from other parts of the country and even world. I had friends from all over the globe, from all different socioeconomic backgrounds, individuals who shared similar values and views as well as opposing. Changing from a completely narrow minded individual to looking further at the picture allowed me to interact with a diverse group of individuals and form friendships with people from all over the world that I still keep in contact with today, even though I transferred to UNC. </p>

<p>With that story, it can be concluded that Miami is a private school and of course it will always carry that stereotype as being very superficial and image orientated but that does not fully represent the diverse student body that fills the University of Miami. And just because people have money does not mean there snobs, I totally agree. I come from a privileged background, but as someone mentioned above, no one can tell from the way I act as I am a very down to earth individual apart from the car I drive and my lifestyle. Though my lifestyle is not a representation of my personal character, by any stretch of the imagination and this serves for much of the student body of Miami. I am very goal-orientated and had one of the most competitive GPAs at UM’s Business School, I worked very hard and all of my friends were the same way, and many of them came from privileged families. </p>

<p>I hope this helps.</p>

<p>I still believe there are some really snotty kids but then there are kids who have money who are not. I enjoyed my time by finding people who had the same interest and goals as me is what I was trying to say. With that, Miami as any college is what you make of it</p>

<p>I think you will find that at any college really.</p>

<p>November1991,</p>

<p>You are one hundred percent true, but it’s overwhelming at some campuses more than others. I mean just because the campus body of Miami is only 10,000 undergrads whereas a school like UF is 50,000. With that much larger of a student body, of course you’re going to have a much more diverse student body based purely on net wealth. </p>

<p>5,000/50,000 compared to 3500/10000, there’s your difference.</p>

<p>I attended Law School at Miami many years ago. Thus, filter what I say with that knowledge.</p>

<p>Yes, for the most part , Miami did tend to have richer folks that a poor state university. However, they get a lot of kids on scholarships too.</p>

<p>Miami did have its share of spoiled kid types. They also had many down-to-earth, great kids. They also had amazing diversity with kids coming from many foreign countries and all ethnicities and religions. What I am saying is that I promise that you will find all types of kids, who have all types of interests, as you would with many other private colleges.</p>