Please help me pick SLU Medscholar vs U miami, U Rochester

Hi,
My primary goal is to become a physician, I want to pick a school/program with highest chance of getting in to Medschool, I am from Missouri. Please help me pick. My parents are leaning towards SLU Medscholar, I am not too keen on it, but do love the idea being close to home. I am having a hard time choosing.
I have been accepted to SLU Medscholar with VP scholarship( net OOP 30K), U Miami with Dean scholarship( net OOP 50K), U Rochester - no merit scholarship and waitlisted multiple other schools - UMKC BAMD, Washu, Emory, U Michigan, CWRU.

Similar discussion in another thread. Lots of opinions on whether SLU Med Scholar was a good idea or not. I think my back of the envelope calculation was about 50% make it through the Med Scholar program but if you do then it’s a 100% chance of going to some med school somewhere. That didn’t seem too bad.

There’s a med school forum on CC. Maybe post there. I think the consensus is keeping undergrad costs low because med school is expensive. Also, where you go to school doesn’t matter, just your GPA and MCAT’s. Is it better to be a small fish in a big pond (Emory, WashU) or a big fish in a small pond (SLU).

1 Like

As an opinion on one of your choices, the University of Rochester offers a suitable and appealing academic and social environment for a premed student. It requires only a few academic “clusters” to meet its distribution requirements, which should create a relatively clear path for you to meet premed requirements. With respect to its general atmosphere, academics seem to be emphasized, with extracurricular activities such as sports being available, but not central.

1 Like

What don’t you like about SLU’s Medscholar program?

What can/will your family pay for undergrad? Med school is expensive ($300k-$400k), so for many applicants it makes sense to save $ in undergrad. Can your family afford full pay Rochester (~$300k) plus med school costs?

Without more information, SLU MedScholar appears to be your best option based on COA.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind reply and link, helped me look at SLU from a different perspective.
I am making a list with Pros and Cons for both programs. Can’t believe got another wait listing from NYU, What are the odds!
This waitlisting and waiting period is definitely nerve wrecking. Thank you again.

SLU has a high acceptance rate and not looked as a prestigious institution has been my hesitancy. I am also not too fond of the area it’s located in, high crime rate.

Thank you, 80 K plus a year for UG seems like a lot, everyone keeps telling me to save my money/loans for Med school!