Please help me understand the housing

<p>I have a d who has been admitted to the honors program and has visited U of A and liked it. Although we aren’t sure it will be her final choice (she also visited another school she liked and will visit one more next week), we have put down a deposit and a housing deposit and she has an April 12th choosing time. By that time, she will have visited all schools and maybe has come to a decision. Anyway, I am not understanding about how she is supposed to choose. She wants honors housing- will she still get that on April 12th? When she checks in for the selection- how will she know which is honors and which is not? Then if she has decided to go, she signs up for Bama Bound, is that right? WHen are the move in times determined? We have no idea how she would be arriving because it all depends where we will be stationed this summer or if my h decides to retire. Thanks for any help.</p>

<p>OK, I’ll give it a shot. According to the website at: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/selection_schedule.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/selection_schedule.cfm) April 12th is the last “honors exclusive” housing selection date. So when your D logs on, she will only be shown honors rooms. And yes there should still be honors housing at that point; might not be the exact location she wants, but there should still be honors housing. She won’t be shown any non-honors housing. </p>

<p>For example, if she wanted to live in Tutwiler, the all girls freshman dorm (which isn’t honors but where a lot of girls who want to participate in Greek life want to live) that won’t be an option. She would have to wait until the first “all resident hall” housing pick date which is April 14th. </p>

<p>After she decides for sure, then she can sign up for Bama Bound. </p>

<p>At some point, housing sends out an email saying that you can sign up for move in times. According to the board, the day you could sign in to pick a move in time was June 15th. If you are doing Outdoor Action, Alabama Action or Sorority recruitment, you get to move in a week earlier than the rest of the freshmen.</p>

<p>If your daughter chooses an honors room that she doesn’t want, then she’ll have an opportunity to change it later…but she needs to select something on her date.</p>

<p>When we went on the tour last Monday, the tour guide showed us one type of suite and showed us a layout of the other type of suite. D had no opinions about which type is better. Other than that, is the only difference location and whether the complex has a pool or not or is there something else we are missing?</p>

<p>Nope. Just location. They’re both great; just a slightly different layout. D was in Ridgecrest West this year with one layout and will be in Ridgecrest South next year with another layout.</p>

<p>I don’t remember seeing a pool near the dorms, where is it located?</p>

<p>^ I believe Riverside (not sure which one) has their own outdoor pool. Assuming
it is open to all.</p>

<p>Ridgecrest South has the full kitchen, right? Although I’m still a little disappointed that we missed out on the RCS - N opportunity, I must say that my DS doesn’t need a full kitchen. His idea of cooking is boiling water for instant grits!</p>

<p>I believe all the honors dorms have the little kitchens in the suites (fridge, microwave, sink, cupboards) and a full kitchen on one (or more) of the halls.
I am not aware of any honors dorm that has a full kitchen in the suite.</p>