Please help Undecided STEM (and Undecided about STEM) Girl’s college list

Competitive may be dependent on major. For example, majors with many pre-meds, or where students enter undeclared but must compete for secondary admission to major, may have a more competitive environment than other majors.

1 Like

OP didn’t ask for opinions- OP asked for recent experiences with these schools.

I am on Brown’s campus frequently. I am not operating out of “reputation”- I am observing and commenting.

nvm

1 Like

I don’t get it? Seems like you are most definitely offering an opinion. And whatever your observations at Brown, what is your basis for moving it above all the others? Have you observed all those schools too?

2 Likes

I can only answer a small part of your questions, specifically for engineering at UC Santa Barbara and UCLA. Both of our kids were involved in study groups or group projects most of the time and the environment was not cutthroat. Make no mistake though, engineering is hard and requires a lot of time even for the brightest students. UCSB has a good program called CLAS that provides tutoring for the common first/second year courses such as math, physics, and chemistry. It’s free and helped our son several times. As for all the other services, our kids didn’t use them other than the fitness center, so I have no comments on them.

3 Likes

My son is a freshman at University of Rochester. We’ve found the transition to be pretty ideal. He was attracted to the flexible curriculum and that has certainly proved true. He is taking preqs for engineering to keep it on the table, but is currently undecided. He’s joined quite a few clubs and has made a lot of friends. I’ll know more after seeing him in person for the holidays as he’s not super communicative, but on the whole he’s been very happy with his decision.

Some specific answers: he’s consistently working out so the gym part is working. Dining has been a challenge this year as they are struggling with staffing - unfortunately like many schools and other food service entities. He needed some changes to his schedule and found connecting with his advisor was easy enough. The student body has a large international population that adds to the diversity. It appears to be a welcoming, supportive place from what I can tell.

We know several students at Carnegie Mellon - one recent graduate and one freshman. Both in the computer science department. The graduate loved it, but he is very much an introvert who is happy to hang in the lab or his room. The freshman is having a bit more of a difficult transition between the workload and the student body dynamics - it does seem to attract a heavy portion of extremely dedicated students who are not as interested in other aspects of college life. But it’s early days and I’m sure he’ll find his people and get his feet under him.

4 Likes

Absolutely not observed all these schools which is why I weighed in one on the OP’s list which I know well. It’s for everyone else to comment on the schools THEY know well.
These threads so often devolve into 'reputation" based on a visit 12 years ago, or a neighbor whose kid’s girlfriend claims XYZ. The OP asked for personal experience- which is what I’ve offered.

Sorry folks, did not mean for this to get ugly. Sorry I wasn’t clear, I don’t mind getting anecdotal and even reputation info, as long as it’s described that way so I can take source into account, etc. I did want more recent info if possible though.

Thanks everyone, I know you’re all just trying to help and I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OP, the best way to avoid unnecessary stress and mental health issues is to make sure the school and the particular department is a good academic fit for your student, IMO.

3 Likes

Brown is sounding more and more like a good environment for her, so maybe another crazy reach she should keep on the list. Thanks!

Those are a huge part of why we are even looking outside the more affordable UC’s. :frowning:

Darn I didn’t know that about UCLA. She does have some friends there so can talk to current students. Of course, the one I know is definitely a pre-professional type! :laughing: Thanks!

Right, that’s another concern with the UC’s for her – the secondary application to competitive majors, difficulty with switching in to a different major etc. And I’m guessing if she decides she’s interested in Neuroscience, that may land her with a lot of pre-meds even if she’s not. :frowning: Thanks!

3 Likes

A lot too depends on the student. Sure you can get a feel, vibe. But some kids take on too much. Mine is at College of Charleston…not even in the same ballpark pedigree wise as any school on your list. I’m sure nothing there is cut throat but my daughter is in a few honors cohorts and is frankly taking on too much is always stressed. Not to mention she’s always sick, an issue that seems to happen across many campuses as these kids are in tight spots and that’s another issue.

So I think a great point is to not put yourself in all difficult classes. In fact you might start slow with 12 credits (semester system) although that eliminates your ability to drop if needed and so many do need to do so-Collehe is just so different learning wise.

The other thing - limit your ECs. Set aside time to eat, exercise, etc.

If not, no matter where you go, no matter the environment, it could be a struggle.

I know you have a lot left on your journey. I hope your student finds the right place. But a lot will be dependent on the choices she makes once she’s on campus.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Okay but that’s the thing, I’m not sure how to learn of these reputations without asking. I don’t want to rile everyone up, but do appreciate hearing info and opinions, good and bad, about these schools. Knowing the source will help us put the info into perspective.

For example, I have heard that Harvey Mudd has that reputation, but also know they’ve changed their curriculum to try to address that. Whether it’s working or not, I guess it may be too new to know, but at least it seems the school is making the effort. So all that info is really helpful for us.

And yes, crime/safety is an issue at so many of these schools, unfortunately. I know of some, but not all, school histories in that regard too, and do appreciate learning more. Thanks!

That is so great to hear, as I’m especially worried about kids not getting enough support in the large UC’s. Glad the engineering students at both campuses weren’t cutthroat. And that the tutoring program at UCSB worked for your son I hope they are able to keep up these services as they add more students each year. Thank you!

Thank you so much, that seems to reinforce my D’s positive view of Rochester. I think that would jump to the top of her list if we weren’t so worried about whether she could survive winters there. I’ve read a lot of schools are dealing with staffing and it’s hitting all the dining halls. :frowning:

I think your description of Carnegie Mellon is what my sense has been about the school, as I thought it might be too intense for her. I hope the student you know is able to find his people soon, it’s still early. :slight_smile: Thank you!

Yes, that is so true. I’d be really worried about her ability to handle the coursework at Harvey Mudd and MIT, but since those are crazy reaches for her, I’m kind of relying on the schools to make that call for her. :wink: She loved both schools, though, so did apply to MIT and I think will probably keep HMC.

She’s trying to stick with schools that have a breadth of options and the ability to try out different majors, so hopefully can find the right academic fit in one of these settings. Thank you!

Thank you so much. Sorry your daughter is so stressed and getting sick too. I hope she’s able to find a good balance.

My D is definitely the type to take on too much, more so when others around her are doing it. In some ways it’s good to be motivated by others, but not to the point where it gets unhealthy and there’s no balance. So when I read about schools like Brown (at least that’s my perception of it) where I think the kids take on academic challenges yet try to have a good work/life balance, I think that might be a better environment for her – where balance and wellness are normalized, rather than everyone in overdrive all the time.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Anything I could offer would not personally substantiated. There are SO many good options and one needs to limit the the number of schools that they apply to anyway, that our son eliminated them even if the information was hearsay. The schools he struck based on rumor alone were Cornell, CMU, Caltech, MIT, Mudd and Mines. There are alumni that rave about every one of them. My son lives with one. Just make sure that they are a good fit and she’ll be fine.

1 Like

Because of COVID, most schools are paying more attention to mental health issues. However, they’re still constrained by their resources and their sizes. Smaller, well resourced schools may have an edge dealing with that issue, all else being equal.

1 Like

As far as campus crime goes, 2021 Clery Reports are available for all schools. They will cover 2018-2020.

1 Like