Please help Undecided STEM (and Undecided about STEM) Girl’s college list

I’m always glad to hear there are many schools that are welcoming to all throughout all parts of our country. I’d heard good things about Agnes Scott too – hope it’s a good fit for your D!

1 Like

Yes she does sound similar to my D, including the Astronomy interest, which I think will stay on her list of potential majors too. I see we have some overlaps already and we will check out the others on your list. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you – I think you’re right, if they’re not very close, it’s much more challenging getting at least my teen to get themselves over to another campus. I suppose it depends on the class and how difficult it is to get there. That’s the beauty of the Claremont Colleges – they are so close to each other, it feels like the same campus (with very disjointed architecture!).

Great points, thank you. She didn’t want to apply REA to Stanford because she wanted to apply EA to MIT, Chicago and Case Western. I know it sounds odd, but Stanford is in a lower category than Case Western, due to her perception that the environment is too competitive and stressful. (Of course now I don’t know if Case Western will be on the list at all due to Ohio’s hostile environment).

UC’s would’ve been in the top category except it would be very difficult for her to explore and change in/out of majors, especially between STEM/non-STEM programs. Plus lack of housing and sheer size for most of them. Cal also was lower because of the perceived hyper-competitive nature of the students.

So she’s mainly applying EA to dream school(s), plus UC’s/SLO and a few CSU’s. She has more out of state schools than planned because the UC’s/SLO admissions are so unpredictable, especially if she ends up applying to a very competitive major.

Am trying to get her to cut down her reaches and agree on suggesting she cut CMU, Brown and BU. I know Tufts is also a reach but thought it might be a better fit than those 3?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

For perspective, Cal Poly has 6 colleges (agriculture, architecture, business, engineering, liberal arts and science/math), 49 departments and 66 majors. The College of Engineering (CENG) is the largest college by enrollment, but makes up only 25% of the whole student body. If you were to combine the students in the College of Science and Mathematics, technically almost all Liberal Arts majors, with the students actually in the College of Liberal Arts, there would be more students than in the CENG. No one thinks of Poly as a “Liberal Arts” school, but it’s just as much that as it is an Engineering School.

Even at a school like Cal Poly, where they are in major, they don’t really know what it will be like on the job. My son was about a year ahead of his peers and he didn’t have a good grip about “real engineering,” beyond doing tech work like CAD, until his 4th round as an intern (he was very lucky having had an internship during 1st year and every summer thereafter).

The same holds for Cal Poly. Every major is impacted. Almost no one gets their second choice because their alternates are filled with applicants that marked them as their primary choice.

Proximity is only half the battle. As I mentioned, WPI has a very weird, but innovative schedule. Terms are only 7 weeks. Students take 3 classes, 2 technical and one non-technical, and then get a week off between terms. Their terms don’t align with any other school in the nation that I know of, let alone the Central Mass Consortium schools.

I should also mention re aeronautical engineering and similar, if her political views are as progressive as my d’s one important data point that is stopping my d is that apparently almost all career paths with that major run through the military or military contractors.

1 Like

There are certainly exceptions like SpaceX, NASA, RocketLab, commercial aircraft and satellites, but there are indeed many (maybe most?) jobs at military contractors. My son had a very good experience at one, but after that decided there was no way he wanted to take that career route.

1 Like

We were told it is possible, but takes a lot of planning and possibly being around when the rest of the campus is on a break. WPI does quarters, not semesters. 3 classes over 8 weeks. It is great for their project based learning curriculum, but is tough to line up with the semesters in the consortium schools. There is transportation around the city to get to the other campuses, but again…planning. Holy Cross is way up on a hill around town…so no one is doing that walking in February.

The WPI curriculum is so purposeful and well planned. There are great humanities courses that do not require going to the other campuses in the area. They do have minors in them as well. It is also one of the happiest campuses we visited and we went a couple times.

They do offer generous merit to some - females tend to get more than males.

2 Likes

They aren’t even quarters. Quarters are 10 weeks. Also, the 8 week term includes the one week off between terms. That’s why it is so difficult to align with. WPI is WAY out of phase with the rest, but none of them are on the same schedule.

This was deeply palpable to us on our visit too, and one of the reasons, along with the innovative curriculum it was in the running for our son right up until the deadline.

A couple others also stood out in this regard, where students just seemed to all be beaming, Tufts and Cal Poly.

1 Like

Your post was topic of dinner convo tonight. :slight_smile: D said her friend’s sister at Stanford says it’s actually pretty collaborative, although I don’t know her major and actually D’s friend is a hyper competitive person so their family’s definition of collaborative might not sync with D’s. Campus tours still aren’t open and virtual tours have been booked whenever she checked so it’s hard to get a feel for the school. We could try to get a personal tour from friend’s sister if she has time.

Honestly, she hadn’t spent much time researching Stanford because as you said it’s the most extremely unlikely of all her super reach schools. But MIT and Chicago are super reaches too, so she will investigate more and decide if she wants to trade the MIT and Chicago EA’s for Stanford REA.

We don’t really know if REA/EA applications really make a difference for these schools. My guess is for Stanford REA percentages are higher perhaps because of athletes? I don’t know if a Chicago legacy makes a difference and, if so, if EA would help?

All good points thank you both. Hadn’t thought of military but makes sense and might not be where she wants to work. I think my thought went immediately to NASA and commercial aircraft.

1 Like

I also hadn’t anticipated tech schools to be good options for someone who might want to switch out of STEM, but it seems some schools discussed here are more amenable to those students. So we’re now looking at Cal Poly SLO and WPI, etc as possible tech schools with strong liberal arts components. Hadn’t considered UMass so will check it out too, thank you!

2 Likes

I think that’s ok as my D cares deeply about social justice issues but is not necessarily a SJW. Just wants a more progressive, accepting student body so she feels welcome. The tech students you describe sound a lot like the kids my D likes to hang out with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah ok glad to hear! At first I was excited to see Honors dorms, but then realized D would prefer to be with the rest of the students in housing. Priority registration or something like that of course would be nice (I think some UC’s do that). :wink: Honors colleges are such a foreign concept to me so will check out that site. Thanks!

2 Likes

I guess her desire to stay in town over the summer would depend partly on the town, so yes maybe that wouldn’t happened if she was in Arizona. :wink: Thanks.

Okay, WPI is sounding more and more appealing and like it could be a good fit. If she can figure out the consortium schedule that would be bonus, but sounds unnecessary (definitely no walking a snowy hill by my California girl). Will put it high on her research list. She can start by figuring out how to pronounce Worcester. Thank you all!

1 Like

Ooh so interesting, will let her know! And that would be great to have the Honors program help shrink the feel of that very large school. Thank you!

That is good to hear and may help D reconsider. Sounds like best of both worlds.

She would definitely be interested in this and will need to check if she could do that major if she was enrolled at Scripps. Thank you!

Thats great to hear the CogSci dept is allowed to grow. I think D likes Revelle so far but Undecided Girl would probably like some of the other colleges too! The whole UC admissions system is so confusing and I’m not sure the single application doesn’t add to the confusion. Sorry your D had to learn the ropes the hard way. :frowning: Thanks for the tips to help us avoid the same. I’ve also been reading the UC forums for guidance from gumbysmom and ucbalumnus. Grateful to get so much help from everyone!

I think the Core requirements will definitely help her stretch and try new things, and she feels there’s enough space to allow for exploration. I actually think an open curriculum like Brown’s might be too much freedom for her and she’d never end the exploration. Of course, it sounded great to her. :woman_facepalming:

I think that’s the thing – helping her find the right place that gives her enough opportunities to experiment and find her place, but with enough structure so there’s an end in sight and help making those decisions.
Thank you both!