Please help with decisions about which honors program?

<p>D was accepted to Alabama and needs to finish both her scholarship application and honors application. She has good enough scores so she will be admitted into the honors program but I confused about all the choices. If there some site I can see comparisons between the programs? She is as yet undecided what she will major in but does want to go on to law school and become a prosecutor. One question I have is can you do study abroad without being in the International Honors? Is computer honors research mainly for sciences and engineering? Any advice would be welcomed.</p>

<p>Any student can do study abroad without being in international honors. As for computer-based honors (CBH), no, it is not just for the engineering/science student. My son is an economics/poli sci major/math major. There are students who major in interior design, communicative disorders, communications, international relations (with an interest in Asian studies) and other disciplines.</p>

<p>MilitaryMom: theoretically, you could be in all 4. My d is in University Honors & International Honors (those are automatic based on stats.) University Fellows & CBHP are very competitive and limited to less than 50 students in each incoming freshman class (others can correct me if I’m off.) </p>

<p>I think that some students choose not to do IHP due to the language requirement (Each student must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language or complete two years of college-level work or its equivalent.)</p>

<p>Your D can apply to all 4 programs if she wants. Some kids are in 2+ honors programs.</p>

<p>We have a thread where we discuss the different programs here…</p>

<p>Honors College thread <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/804961-honors-colleges-4-different-programs-app-process.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/804961-honors-colleges-4-different-programs-app-process.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Regardless of what she does she better do it quick. Scholarship apps need to be submitted by Dec 1st.</p>

<p>Sounds like she’s already been admitted to Bama. Hopefully she’s already submitted a scholarship app.</p>

<p>If I remember correctly, this student does have GI Bill benefits, so that’s great. Scholarship money would be on top of that.</p>

<p>Yes, she does have GI benefits and she is admitted already. She is doing the scholarship application and the honors application starting on Wednesday since she has a major paper due tomorrow and a big computer programming assignment. Thanks for the link and the answers.</p>

<p>I’m confused. D applied and submitted scholarship app. Not admitted yet.<br>
My question is: assuming she is admitted, if she has above a 28 on ACT and a 3.3 GPA or above, will she be automatically admitted to Honors College or does she have to apply and write a 1 paragraph essay (as was mentioned on the thread linked in post #4 above)</p>

<p>Your D will have to apply to UHP (the main honors program) and/or IHP and write a paragraph for those applications. The paragraph(s) are more of a way for the Honors College to get to know your D than they are for determining admission to UHP/IHP, since she will be admitted to UHP/IHP upon receipt of her Honors College application due to her GPA and test scores.</p>

<p>*D applied and submitted scholarship app. Not admitted yet.
My question is: assuming she is admitted, if she has above a 28 on ACT and a 3.3 GPA or above, will she be automatically admitted to Honors College or does she have to apply and write a 1 paragraph essay (as was mentioned on the thread linked in post #4 above) *</p>

<p>She must apply…</p>

<p>Incoming students with a 28 ACT or 1250 SAT will be automatically accepted to the Honors College upon submission of their application to the Honors College. Students will be notified of their acceptance via mail.</p>

<p>BTW…the one paragraph essay is NO BIG DEAL…it’s simply an introduction about yourself…</p>

<p>Something like this…</p>

<p>My name is <strong><em>. I am looking forward to enrolling in the University of Alabama in the Fall 20XX. </em></strong><strong><em>is my intended major, and I hope to have a future career in _</em></strong>_____. I am certain that the University’s Honors College will permit me to take courses that will provide me a well-rounded liberal arts background to complement my major. (plus maybe a couple of additional sentences.)</p>

<p>Really, no big deal.</p>

<p>The essays for CBHP and UFE are a big deal.</p>

<p>mom2 and SEA_tide: Does she apply to UHP/IHP after she is accepted? So far, we haven’t seen a tab or link on the mybama page</p>

<p>Yes…the link will appear when she’s accepted. Actually, if you keep checking myBama (academics tab…lower left column), you’ll get an early notice of her acceptance since the link will show up before you get the snail mail letter.</p>

<p>I do not know why I am still confused about U Bama.</p>

<p>1- I thought we HAD to fill out a scholarship form and it is on our list to do this week. Today the mail brings an Alabama letter congratulating S2 on a Presidential Elite Scholarship which is full tuition and an extra $4000 per year.</p>

<p>2-S2 did not check the box for interest in CBHP because he and I both assumed it was some sort of a computer program. What I am reading on this forum is that it crosses all majors, but it is research based. Where does the “computer based” portion come in?</p>

<p>Today I feel like a confused old lady!</p>

<p>I do not know why I am still confused about U Bama.</p>

<p>1- I thought we HAD to fill out a scholarship form and it is on our list to do this week. Today the mail brings an Alabama letter congratulating S2 on a Presidential Elite Scholarship which is full tuition and an extra $4000 per year.</p>

<p>Can you look at that again? I think that’s from Auburn, not Bama. Auburn has a scholarship called Presidential Elite. Bama doesn’t.</p>

<p>Yes, you do need to submit the Bama scholarship app. I wouldn’t overlook that no matter what you’ve been sent. You don’t want to miss out on other scholarships based on not applying.</p>

<p>*2-S2 did not check the box for interest in CBHP because he and I both assumed it was some sort of a computer program. What I am reading on this forum is that it crosses all majors, but it is research based. Where does the “computer based” portion come in?</p>

<p>Today I feel like a confused old lady! *</p>

<p>CBHP is a research program. It is NOT a computer science program. The “computer-based” part is that students take 2 semesters of computer programming (which fulfill the school’s core req’t for taking two classes with the C designation). </p>

<p>I really think the name needs to be changed since it is confusing.</p>

<p>What is your son’s major? </p>

<p>Was he NMSF? </p>

<p>If he still wants to apply to CBH, he can.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids,</p>

<p>The letter is from Robert E Witt at the U of Alabama and it says "we are awarding you a Presidential Elite Scholarship of $20,500 per year…In addition $4000 per year for other educational expenses.</p>

<p>I believe he put Econ as his major.</p>

<p>Weird…looks like Bama is matching what Auburn is offering to some students and calling it the same name as the Auburn scholarship. If you look on Bama’s website, you’ll see that there isn’t a scholarship called that, so this sounds like something new to compete with Auburn.</p>

<p>Anyway…I would still submit the app. If you haven’t seen it yet, it’s not a hard or time-consuming app. .</p>

<p>Is your son a NMSF?</p>

<p>What are his stats?</p>

<p>BTW…congrats!!!</p>

<p>A side note about the Honors College… yesterday I recieved my official acceptance to UHP and was shocked to see that the letter was not only actually signed (not just a photocopy), but they also wrote me a short personal note. When I showed it to my parents they were also surprised, and we all agreed that we had never heard of anywhere else giving such individual attention - not even the small private schools they went to less than a third of the size of Bama. Very impressive, once again.</p>

<p>Congrats on your acceptance!!!</p>

<p>Hmm, wonder what the Presidential Elite Schol is and how you qualify? It would be nice to receive an extra $4K, since I haven’t seen too many additional scholarships in Arts & Sciences like you guys have in Engineering.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I think this new scholarship is a response to what Auburn offered last year. However, Auburn has reduced its scholarships this year. But, I do remember last year when Auburn was sending out letters to high stats kids offering an additional $4k per year. Seems odd, since this year they reduced their Presidential scholarship to 2/3 tuition.</p>