Please help worried mom

<p>When we toured last March, we met with a Mech Eng professor. One of the first pieces of information he gave us was a list of companies that recruited for co-ops. I will encourage DS to do a co-op. I think it will be a huge help in finding a permanent job by having the work experience. My DS is interested in automotive engineering, and looking at the list I can see that there will be many more options for him at UA than at our state flagship.</p>

<p>As far as tornadoes go, that is something I have grown up with living in Western Arkansas. Yes, they are scary, but the chances of one touching down in a given spot is very small. You pay attention to the weather forecast, watch the clouds and go somewhere safe if there is a warning. And just because there is a warning or a watch doesn’t mean one is going to touch down, it just means the conditions are so that there might be one and to take precautions. We have quite a few tornado warnings every year. The last tornado to touch down in my town was 17 years ago. The television weathermen are very good in our area, and I’m sure they are in Alabama as well, to take over the television stations when weather starts to get bad. Your child will know when to take cover if needed.</p>

<p>My freshman S has an on-campus job in his field of study at one of UA’s research centers. Frankly, I’m not keen on him working and going to school, but he says he can handle it.</p>

<p>my other daughter has a job too (at another school). my thought on the subject is that she would not be studying those hours if she didn’t have the job. she would be goofing off.</p>

<p>when you have “plenty of time”, often you put things off … because you have “plenty of time.” if you have a busy schedule you USE your time more wisely.</p>

<p>He’s working in the morning before his classes start and he considers that dead time. I told him not to let them push into working more hrs than he is comfortable with and to work fewer hours than he is planning if his classes get more demanding.</p>

<p>I don’t want him risking any of his scholarships and I want him to have a social life.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m in agreement that having a job while in college helps with time management. For fist year students, UA recommends a maximum of 10-12 hours per week. After that, 15 hours per week is common, with 20 being the maximum number of hours a student can work each week.</p>

<p>I was really lucky to have an on-campus job during college and look back at it as one of the most enjoyable parts of my college career. I worked 20 hours per week and felt that it worked well with a full class schedule. As an OOS student who is staying on campus during weekends and many breaks, holidays and Friday afternoons are great times to work as campus is quiet and the other students who are staying for the holiday/weekend are typically resting before the evening’s events, so one is isn’t missing as much.</p>

<p>Your son is a driven individual and will do very well in his classes and job.</p>