Please Help!

<p>Ok, so I want to study engineering, either mechanical, electrical, or computer (haven't made up my mind yet but probably mechanical), and I got admitted into VT (general studies, but not engineering program), VCU, and ODU (both into their respective engineering program). Knowing VT has a better program, I really want to go there and then try to transfer into their program after a semester or 2 (I don't know how hard that would be). The problem is that my parents want me to go to ODU or VCU (I know VCU has a better engineering program than ODU) because I'm guaranteed into their program. Its not that my parents don't like Tech, its just that I didn't get into their program. They think I would be wasting time going to VT initially and then trying to go into their program because there aren't any guarantees of acceptance. They said I could go to VCU or ODU for a few semesters and then transfer to VT, but I know that would be harder. How should I convince them?? Please don't tell to disregard their advice and just go where I want to go because they will be paying entirely for my education and I don't have the money at all to pay for any college and I know I won't be getting a job, at least for the first few semesters, because I want to focus on my education This may or may not help, but I do live in-state and I did get a $5000 annual scholarship at ODU. As far as my performance in college, no matter which college, I'm know I will be taking the most rigorous math and physics-based courses that I possibly can. I'm also pretty confident that I will get mainly A's with maybe a few B's here and there. I'm predicting at most 1-2 C's per semester and even that would be very very rare, only if I'm taking unusually difficult classes (which I often enjoy doing). I know this because I am currently taking college classes at my local community college. I understand that a real 4-year college will be much harder, but some of my professors seem to genuinely try to match the difficulty of the class to that of tech's.
In a nutshell, please help me to convince my parents that tech would be a better choice even though I'm didn't get into their engineering program rather than initially going to ODU or VCU. Please note that the transfer is guaranteed, which is what my parents wanting. If any of you need any relevant and appropriate details, please ask. I want the most informed advice I can get. Thanks!</p>

<p>Look through the other threads on University Studies and show your parents the criteria for transferring into Engineering. It’s not as hard as you think. You just need to have a VT GPA of 2.5. Based upon your grade expectations you will eventually be in VT engineering. By all means take the freshman engineering course at CC so that you can stay on track in VT engineering.</p>

<p>There is a huge difference between the engineering departments at VT and ODU/VCU. HUGE. If your Dad is into sports tell him it’s comparing an NFL team to a HS football team. VT has a national and international reputation in engineering. No one outside (and sometimes even inside) Virginia has ever heard of the engineering programs at ODU and VCU.</p>

<p>OK - I copied the paste from another thread in case you couldn’t find it.</p>

<p>Starting in University Studies & Other Departments
Roughly 10-15% of Mechanical Engineering students start out in University Studies before switching into engineering. University Studies (US) students wishing to switch into an engineering department should meet with their US advisor to carefully plan a course schedule to match the courses they would have taken had they started in General Engineering. </p>

<p>US students should be able to enroll in all freshmen-level courses their first year, with the exception of the Engineering Education (ENGE) courses, ENGE1024 and ENGE1114. Non-engineering students are placed on a waiting list to take ENGE1024 in the spring, and seats are awarded based on GPA’s from the fall semester, regardless of major. </p>

<p>ENGE1024 and ENGE1114 are also available during the first and second summer sessions, respectively, at Virginia Tech. In the past, major restrictions have not been placed on these courses during the summer. Please see the Engineering Education website for more information for non-engineering students. </p>

<p>Students may also earn transfer credits for ENGE1024 and ENGE1114 at select Virginia Community Colleges, including New River, Virginia Western, J. Sargeant Reynolds, Piedmont, Southwest, and Tidewater Community Colleges. Please contact Sarah Deisher in the Dean’s Office if you have questions about which VCCS courses may be taken. You may visit the VCCS website to view course timetables for the VCCS colleges to find out when and where these courses will be offered. Be sure to fill out a transfer credit request form before you enroll for the course(s) to be sure you have selected equivalent course(s) .</p>

<p>University Studies students may transfer into General Engineering after they have completed the first semester of freshmen courses, including ENGE1024, and may switch into Mechanical Engineering when they have completed all freshmen-level required courses (not including CLE humanities electives) and have an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher from Virginia Tech. These are the same requirements for all VT students, regardless of which department they started in.</p>

<p>When students who started in University Studies (or any other major besides General Engineering) are enrolled in the last required course to transfer into Mechanical Engineering, they should fill out a major change request form and return this form to the Dean’s Office in 212 Hancock. If you have questions about your transfer into the Mechanical Engineering Department, please contact Christi Boone. (If you started in General Engineering, you should contact the Engineering Education Department instead.)</p>

<p>tushinator, I am a parent of a student in the same situation as you. I was also concerned that getting into University Studies and then hoping to transfer into engineering was a risk but after asking questions on this site and realizing how highly the engineering program at VT is regarded I am comfortable letting our son go to VT. I think you need to show your parents that you can meet the requirements to transfer into engineering. In order to do that get a clear idea what those requirements are (see the other replies here and other threads on this subject and <a href=“http://www.uaac.vt.edu/orientation/admittedUS_wantsGE_09.pdf[/url]”>http://www.uaac.vt.edu/orientation/admittedUS_wantsGE_09.pdf&lt;/a&gt;) Then perhaps discuss with your HS counselor to see if they can provide some assurances to your parents that you can meet the transfer requirements. If you have done well in your senior year and expect to do well in any AP exams coming up this should go a long way to allaying any fears your parents might have. Go on the accepted students day with your family. You should be aware that, especially if you want to transfer into Mechanical Engineering, that you may need to take one of the initial ENGE (1024 or 1114) classes at a community college or over the summer session at VT if you plan on graduating in four years. My son is going to take ENGE 1024 over this summer then he will be able to meet the requirements to transfer into GE in the spring of freshman year.</p>

<p>Good Luck</p>