Please help

<p>

</p>

<p>Here’s the policy. It appears that whatever grade you received the first time you attempted the class is calculated into your gpa, unless it was a P, W, NA, or NC.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Source: [Grade</a> Point Average (GPA) < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/gradepointaveragegpa/]Grade”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/gradepointaveragegpa/)</p>

<p>I thought probation letters and no actual probation occurred until after the first 2 semesters, or has that changed? </p>

<p>I almost doubled by GPA & graduated summa a few years & 2 kids later when I had to pay for it myself. I don’t recommend it though.</p>

<p>I think that there are two issues here the GPA and requirements that are required for keeping a scholarship and the GPA and requirements that are required for continuing in the Honor College.</p>

<p>I believe that freshman are reviewed after their second semester and then put on probation for their third semester in regards to their scholarship.</p>

<p>However here is the info for the Honors College:</p>

<p>Honors College Graduation and Retention
Requirements
To complete the requirements of the Honors College, all students are required to earn at least 18 hours of honors credit, including at least 6 hours in graded University Honors (UH) or International Honors (IHP) courses at the 100-, 200- or 300-level, and maintain an overall GPA of at least 3.30.
If an Honors College student drops below a 3.30 or does not complete honors credit at a proportional rate to overall degree completion relative to time of admission, they will be put on probation. Honors College students who do not raise their GPA or take honors courses in their probation semester will be temporarily suspended pending an overall GPA of 3.30 or a documented plan to finish honors coursework.</p>

<p>So it seems that she could already be on probation from the Honors College and also have receive a warning about her grades.</p>

<p>Sent you a message.</p>

<p>Also sent you a message!</p>

<p>I tried to send you a PM. Didn’t work. So I’ll just suggest that if she goes on probation (which may have already happened??) that you might consider telling her that she has to leave UA at the end of the semester and requesting that the Scholarship Department put her scholarship on hold. </p>

<p>After leaving UA, maybe she could take a ‘gap year’ and look into programs that have the aim of helping young people figure out what they want to do with their lives. I’m sure others on this website can suggest programs of this nature–I don’t know of any but have heard of them.</p>

<p>Rather than let your daughter lose that scholarship, and frankly I think that’s where this is headed, I’d temporarily pull her out after requesting that the scholarship be put on hold until such time (probably a year) that she is more realistic about her need to study. I think that if you can swing this, it’s so much less harsh than letting matters run their course and seeing her lose the scholarship. </p>

<p>Just my 2 cents, and I know just how your d is going to react to this suggestion!</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Downtimer2- that is a fabulous suggestion. I had no idea this was even possible but it is exactly what we need. </p>

<p>For everyone who sent me messages- thank you so much. I am not able to reply to them but I am making use of some of the suggestions.</p>

<p>Y’all are just amazing</p>

<p>Yes, that is a great suggestion. Contact Scholarships and ask if this is do-able. If it is, then tell your D that unless she gets at least a 3.X GPA this semester, then she’s coming home for a gap year. </p>

<p>If Bama and scholarships agree, then get it in writing.</p>

<p>During that time, she can’t take any CC classes. She can work or volunteer or ???</p>

<p>This story sounds kind of familiar. It wasn’t so much socializing for me as video games and TV, but the parallels are there. It’s a lack of motivation, and it’s not something that can be counseled, tutored, or enforced. It has to be learned.</p>

<p>To keep the Presidential Scholarship, you need a 3.0 overall (not cumulative) GPA and 12 hours per semester. If you drop below a 3.0 overall, you go on scholarship probation (NOT academic probation!). As long as you maintain a 3.0 each semester, you remain on probation but keep your scholarship. If your overall gets above 3.0, you come off probation (there is no limit on how many times you can go back and forth). If you’re on probation and don’t get a 3.0, you lose your scholarship.</p>

<p>They evaluate these at the end of the first year and every semester after that. That’s why you can get away with dropping below 12 credits the first semester as long as you have 24 by the end of the year. I myself dropped to 11 in the Fall and 13 in the Spring. My cumulative GPA was ugly, to say the least, but As in my transferred credits kept me at a 3.0. Taking classes at a community college nearby home is a good way to help boost your GPA.</p>

<p>I slacked off again the next Fall, and it finally clicked the semester after that. Now, I’m not a tireless worker by any means, and I’d be lying if I even told you I never missed anything, but I have a mentality now where I understand that things need to get done. Again, this is something that will only come with time. Make sure she understands the gravity of her decisions. When she truly realizes that there is a direct relationship between her wasting time with friends instead of studying and her having to go back home and lose those friends, you’ll see a change.</p>

<p>I wish I had a better answer for you, but take it from another slacker: the only person that can solve her problem is her. You can only provide motivation by reminding her of the consequences of her laziness.</p>

<p>Macamatic: What a thought provoking and honest post! Thank you for providing an inside look into your own process. I am glad that you were able to turn your situation around, and keep your scholarship. Wishing you the best of luck in your future endeavors.</p>

<p>^ Ditto - :slight_smile: Clone him! Hire him!</p>

<p>I went through this with my son, but for medical reasons. He had an undiagnosed thyroid issue, but is finally doing better. Due to the medical issues the school was very helpful to us and worked with us. So, I do have some information about how the Scholarship works. She will not be put on probation until the end of Freshman year. Then she will have Fall of next year to raise her GPA. She will need to get a 3.0 for that semester to keep her scholarship. She will remain on probation the next semester and each semester after that as long as she gets a 3.0 for the semester. Once her overall GPA is above a 3.0 she will be off probation. If she doesn’t earn a 3.0 each semester she is on probation she will lose her scholarship. By the way, I would recommend she see her academic counselor and let them tell her this information. Sometimes they listen better to outside sources. After medical treatment and medication, this semester my son finally got off probation and is back on track. Good Luck!!</p>

<p>bassettmomma,</p>

<p>My son went through the same thing, but it was his Sophomore year.We just couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I had a hard time believing that a thyroid issue could have had such a huge impact on his health and his ability to comprehend and retain what he was studying. His GPA from freshman year was high enough that it didn’t impact his scholarship, but he had a co-op job lined up for the next semester, and his GPA dropped below their requiremen. They said no thanks, do another semester and give us a call after. It was so traumatic for him. He had subleased his apartment, and hadn’t registered for classes, so we were fixing all of it over christmas. The medicine did wonders for him in the spring, and he is back to his old self, and co-oping at home this spring with a different company.</p>

<p>I know it’s hard to watch but going through struggles and experiencing failure is a part of life. At the time this happened, my S thought his whole future would be affected. I told him that everyone experiences some type of failure in their lives, sometimes it is their fault, and sometimes it is beyond their control. The only people who are truly not succesful in life, are the people that give up. Maskedmom, whatever path your child takes, just remind her that not everyone takes the same route, and that even though she appears to be choosing a more difficult path then necessary, she can still get where she wants to go if she is willing to put in the effort it takes. As Dori says, just keep swimming…</p>

<p>*She will not be put on probation until the end of Freshman year. Then she will have Fall of next year to raise her GPA. She will need to get a 3.0 for that semester to keep her scholarship. *</p>

<p>I’m wondering if the student knows this therefore she’s not motivated to do well this year? </p>

<p>She likely is on Honors College probation already.</p>

<p>I was shocked at how hard it hit my son too…but it has brought us closer and there have been so many blessings during this difficult time. My son really appreciates what he has now since he almost lost so much…Maskedmom, your daughter might need this experience to make her a better, stronger person in the long run…I know it is so hard to watch our kids when they are making poor decisions, or when things don’t go there way, but hang in there. Stay strong and keep encouraging her. But, realize that she has to make these choices on her own, and she has to deal with the consequences.</p>

<p>So glad I could help. And I heartily second the suggestion that she not take community college classes or any other kind. A complete change of pace. Working at a job would be very beneficial, although I also wonder whether she would get motivated if she participated in one of those programs to figure out a career. If your daughter has defined a goal, she ought to be more willing to study to achieve it.</p>

<p>She shouldn’t take CC classes because it might hurt her status as being “on leave” from school and then she’d lose her scholarship.</p>

<p>Wanted to update and thank everyone. DD got well above what she needed this semester to stay off probation. There was some last minute struggle but it all came together in the end. I know 100% that she would not have made it without my nagging which I have mixed emotions about but fingers crossed she can do it on her own next year.</p>

<p>Glad to hear it! Thank you for the update. Here’s to a smoother next year!</p>

<p>Best of luck to the OP. A good friend of ours went through this, poor GPA, probation. Wound up changing majors and brought up grades, but then did poorly again. Finally diagnosed with a medical condition and took a medical leave from school. He’s doing much better and time will tell if he goes back to school and gets it back on track. While we are quick to assume the student is slacking off and playing too many video games, there could actually be a medical issue going on behind the scenes. Alabama has an excellent counseling center that can help these kids through these trying times. Good luck to all the kids out there struggling and hope they find their path.</p>