Pledgeship suspended for the fall

<p>According to the CW and Greek Executive board pledgeship for this fall is done with. Just wanted to let you know in case y’all have any daughters or sons that are pledging this fall. I have pretty strong opinions on this decision as I was a member of the greek life at UA, but I don’t want this to turn into a sour thread/topic.</p>

<p>According to the news reports I’m reading on Twitter, pledgeship may done with forever. Am I reading that right?</p>

<p>Freeno: I don’t think they are done forever. That would be a bad move as far as ticking donors off. I believe they are done for the fall and possibly spring and will reevaluate pledgeship and how they go about it for the future. If they are done with it forever, in my opinion the University will never be the same and will lose a lot of character and appeal.</p>

<p>[UA</a> suspends fraternity privileges amidst several hazing allegations | al.com](<a href=“http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2012/10/ua_suspends_fraternity_privile.html]UA”>UA suspends fraternity privileges amidst several hazing allegations - al.com)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is probably the tweet that Feeno read? If they left out the “about the fall semester pledge period” it could be interpreted as for good.</p>

<p>Yes, that’s what I read that lead me to think he meant it’s gone forever. Even if it’s not what the person meant, he and the other administrators are using unusually strong language in dealing with this developing situation.</p>

<p>This is very unfortunate if they go down that road. I was afraid when we got a new president that he wouldn’t be as forgiving as Dr. Witt. Seems as if I was right. Look for donations to the university to take a significant hit if they do away with the greek system.</p>

<p>It’s all speculation at this point. Speculatively speaking, I think it’s a reach to believe that this is the end of the Greek system at UA.</p>

<p>Guys, follow @CW_Live on Twitter. They are covering Mark Nelson’s press conference. He is detailing what led to this decision.</p>

<p>I could see this making the Greek system more popular (especially fraternities).</p>

<p>So far I believe pledgeship is cancelled for this semester only. No word on Spring pledgeship and next fall. </p>

<p><a href=“Documenting Justice (Video) - The Crimson White”>Documenting Justice (Video) - The Crimson White;

<p>I don’t believe this affects the NPC women’s groups. Those women that went through recruitment have completed their new member period and are now active members in most, if not all, of the groups.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama suspends pledgeship - CBS 42 Birmingham, AL News Weather Sports](<a href=“http://www.cbs42.com/mostpopular/story/University-of-Alabama-suspends-pledgeship/YFph_SUh5EG9DE5H4XqnmA.cspx]University”>http://www.cbs42.com/mostpopular/story/University-of-Alabama-suspends-pledgeship/YFph_SUh5EG9DE5H4XqnmA.cspx)</p>

<p>I really appreciated the letter sent out by the Parent Programs office.</p>

<p>I am all for people having the right to put themselves through harsh treatment, but we are not talking about private clubs treating pledges off campus. UA subsidizes the loans given to the Greeks for their new houses, and gives the other ones extra cheap rent. Extra cheap.</p>

<p>Furthermore, many of the pledges have no idea what they are getting into until it is too late and they risk estrangement from their new friends, at a very critical point in their college life, should they decide to “get out.” </p>

<p>Finally, I resent the notion that UA is dependent on Greek alums who want current pledges to “go through what they went through,” especially if what they went through was violent and abusive. I feel confident that most generous Greek alums will continue to be generous as long as UA grants the Greek system continued prominence on campus. That does not require allowing them to abuse freshman pledges. </p>

<p>Ever thought about the consequences if some of these OOS parents who are less tolerant of the less positive Greek traditions pull their precious children from UA because of abuse? I applaud the administration for setting a new standard. Another sign of progress at UA. In no way does this mean that UA is harming the Greek system. Any drive down University Boulevard, with a view of the new humongous Greek mansions, or a walk down the new row of sorority houses behind the President’s mansion should disabuse you of that notion.</p>

<p>Actually many sororities finish initiation on Sunday. Ds roommates along w/ D are in different houses. They are all official on Sunday. </p>

<p>I was also very impressed by the letter sent out by UA. Very clear and open about what happened and how it would be dealt with. </p>

<p>Sent from my HTC Glacier using CC App</p>

<p>For anyone who doubts the wisdom of UA’s decision. Please read this link: </p>

<p>[Fraternity</a> pledge details UA’s culture of hazing | The Crimson White](<a href=“Documenting Justice (Video) - The Crimson White”>Documenting Justice (Video) - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>Thank you! to the UA Parent Programs for keeping us informed, it is greatly appreciated. We just had a discussion with our OOS son, who will be initiated within the next day or so. We were surprised that he wanted to join a fraternity, as he originally stated he was not interested in Greek life. We are supportive of his involvement, feel confident that he will be initiated in a responsible manner and are relieved that his fraternity was not one of the ones mentioned in the letter.</p>

<p>Fortunately my son’s fraternity is not mentioned in the email that UA sent out to parents this evening. </p>

<p>My son texted us to let us know that he and his pledge brothers will be initiated this weekend but he’s disappointed that he won’t be able to go through the rest of pledgeship. He said that he would like to experience everything that his brothers before him went through. My husband, a lifelong member of his fraternity, is sympathetic as he appreciates the importance of tradition in brotherhood. </p>

<p>It’s unfortunate that a few alledged bad apples have ruined it for all of the fraternities. I’m going to assume that what took place at the Pike house and the other two houses must have bordered on criminal because the reaction by the new President was so severe. </p>

<p>Congratulations to all of the boys going through initiation this weekend!</p>

<p>I just got off the phone with my son, who’d just come out of a meeting with his fraternity, where they discussed this issue. His fraternity was not one of those against whom allegations have been made and he assured me (again) that they do not practice or condone hazing. He, and his family, have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to abuse of any kind.</p>

<p>For those of you out there who are considering UA and are understandably put off by this matter, I just want to share that my son’s experience with fraternity life at UA has been uplifting, filled with fellowship and community service, and a wonderful social experience that has not interfered with his commitment to academic excellence whatsoever.</p>

<p>can someone forward me the letter from ua parent programs?</p>