• 3.4/4UW GPA:
  • 1430 SAT - 770M/660R

Coursework
7 AP Classes, 2 DE Classes

Awards
2x DECA State titles, 2nd and 3rd
1x FBLA State title, 2nd - 1x FBLA National Title 2nd
Extracurriculars

1. Started sneaker reselling biz at age 14 that did 140k revenue in 3 years (22%profit margin)
  2. Non profit org. that collects used shoes thru neighborhood shoe drives and cleans and donates them to marginalized neighborgoods across the US. 600+ pairs donated, $2300+ raised
  3. PR manager at startup, got 40k followers on social media, and featured in a business insider article
  4. Became a funded trader and made 4k profit in stock market.
  5. marketing Internship at fin-tech startup - worked on creating financial literacy guides etc.
  6. Internship at financial advisor firm - shadowed financial advisor, attended client meetings etc.
  7. Created a stock indicator that has 2000+ downloads
  8. Co-Director of national Economics comp
  9. VP SChool Economics Club

Essays/LORs/Other
Writing my essay on how my view on entrepreneurship changed as I started my own business.
My LOR will prolly just be standard.

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)
NYU (ED)
UGA (EA)
GT (EA1) Instate student
UMICH (EA)
UVA (EA)
USC (EA)
UT Austin (RD)

I am applying to safeties but not gonna bother naming.

You should name the safeties. Many over guess.

Congrats on your out of school activities. The sneaker resell biz is impressive.

Imho - you will not get into any mentioned due to lack of gpa. Test for some a bit low.

I hope you name your safeties but Alabama Culverhouse would be a good sub for Terry and you’d get in. Fine b school.

If you want smaller, Elon, College of Charleston would both work and potentially, U of Denver, very good in finance may work.

Since you have USC, ASU Carey and U of A Eller are solid and safe.

For your Michigan/Wisc, Minnesota is unlikely but Iowa would work and maybe Miami Ohio too .

What you’ve done outside startjng a successful business will help you more than the name on your diploma.

Good luck to you.

1 Like

Take a look at Indiana -Kelley business school is top notch and you’d probably get in (you won’t be a direct admit, will have to petition).

3 Likes

I agree with others that these are all reaches based on your GPA. Your test score is good, but that is also low for some of these schools as well. I’d echo the recommendation to consider Elon, Indiana (Kelley), and Denver. Also, if you like New York, I’d add in Fordham. If you like LA, add in LMU.

4 Likes

I am sorry, you are terribly overreaching.
Gatech will not happen even instate. You will be lucky to get to UGA from this list. The rest are not even possible. Please revise your list.

2 Likes

Approximately where do you rank in your high school? Even if your high school doesn’t officially rank, there is usually an indication, like “students with GPAs in this range are typically in the top 5%, 10%, 20%, etc.” If your high school does not have significant grade inflation (which many schools across the country have), then your chances might be more optimistic than they at first appear. You may also want to speak with your school counselor to find out what schools students with your stats have received acceptances from in the past. Does your school have Naviance or Scoir? If so, that data would be extremely useful.

Assuming that you mean U. of Southern California for USC (rather than U. of South Carolina), your entire list is composed of schools with a low probability of acceptance (below 20%…generally well below 20%).

What is it about these schools that you find attractive? What are you interested in with respect to your desired college experience? If you provide additional information, the board may be able to offer more targeted suggestions of schools where your chances for admission are higher.

84/100 unweighted since Fulton grades out of 100?

All the schools you have named are high reaches. So it’s important that you are happy about the safeties you are applying to.

If you want to be able to transfer to UGA later, an in state safety would be better.

i have a 88 unweighted

3.4-3.5 then. That makes most universities listed reaches to high reaches. Pick one to “shoot your shot” but build your list without them.
Seconding Elon.
I would add Case Western and Fordham as reaches which, being private, have more leeway with a personalized review where your ECs will shine (impressive record!) Run the NPC and check woth your parents whether they’d be affordable.
GTech is out of reach but UGA is a reachable reach for business. Hopefully you’re applying to Kennesaw, GA State, etc.

Def look at Elon. Maybe Syracuse.

3 Likes

Super slim chance chance of getting acceptance to UTAustin, ZERO chance getting admitted into UT McCombs Business School. OOS, gpa and test scores just aren’t there.

You have far too many Reaches. Awards and EC’s are solid, but SAT and gpa will hurt.

Check out Drexel. It’s urban and has a solid business program. Make certain your parents are willing to pay for the schools you apply to by running the net price calculator for each. They may be comfortable with a certain price but many of your schools could see their income and think they should pay in full at $80k/yr if you get in. If they say they’re comfortable with $50k/yr then you might need to hunt for merit. Good luck!

2 Likes

I agree with the others, I don’t think you have a good chance at any of the schools listed. It’s harder to get into NYU for business than to get into Cornell.
I would recommend Iowa, Michigan State, Indiana and Miami of Ohio in the large public category (rather than Mich, Virgina, Texas, etc.). For smaller schools I will second Elon and Denver (both mentioned above) and add Bentley. Bentley really shines for finance.
If you aren’t familiar with the Poets and Quants for undergrads website, you should google it. It provides all sorts of data about business programs.

1 Like

Oh sorry–I misspoke. Cornell business had a 4% acceptance rate in 2022 and NYU Stern was 6.6%
My point was … tough to get into Stern. And that still stands.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.