Point park MT 2023

My DD is strongly considering attending Point Park as an MT. Anyone have feedback about program, school, town, housing? Anything you have to offer would be a help. TY!

Probably not more than you can find on the internet. My son was accepted and I’m guessing it is going to come down to PP and one other school for him. Biggest factor probably being if he gets significant financial aid from PP. If the package is competitive, I’ll probably try to fly him up in April to check it out. He is currently visiting his other top school.

We are going in beg of April to check it out as well.

Hi, my D is a freshman at Point Park, and loving it! Feel free to ask any questions.

My D is a junior BFA MT. Feel free to PM me with questions as well.

@mezzomother do you know if they are pretty liberal with their aid packages? It is one of the less expensive private programs, but still more than the very good public program that my son got into. If PP were to get the total cost in the range of the other school, my son would have a VERY difficult decision to make.

I am a current freshman MT student. PM me with any questions

Hi! My D is a current student…I can try to answer questions also!

@TexasMTDad I’d say that the packages were really varied. My daughter got an academic merit scholarship, a talent scholarship and some need based aid… that being said it is still a stretch for us. She could have gone to a great state program for just a few thousand dollars. But PPU was an amazing choice for her, and we would’nt have it any other way.

Something to keep in mind, is that you have to pay $1500 for private voice lessons each year, which was never shown on any financial documents we received. So that’s an extra expense you have to consider.

You should get your financial aid package very soon. I think we had ours within a week. Good luck with a tough decision!

@mezzomother thanks. We have some money, but not private school money. Really hoping to get him out of school with minimal debt.

Congrats everyone!

Hi all! My son was accepted into the MT program. What’s it like there for housing, food, campus life? Thanks

How does your daughter like it so far?

I’m not sure who the question was directed to, @BostonMTdad, but my junior BFA MT D has been very happy at PPU. The program is challenging but supportive at the same time. She has several teachers who have really become mentors to her, including her voice teacher, who she has had for all of her three years there. Main stage casting is very competitive, but there are also other performance opportunities such as Playhouse Jr. and Pinnacle Productions, the student run group. The city of Pittsburgh is a great city to go to college in; lots to do and easy to get around. It’s an urban campus; not a lot of sports (although they do have some school teams, and professional sports are HUGE - my D LOVES the Pens and gets student tickets to games) or any Greek life, but there is a student activities board and they have lots of stuff going on every week. Dorms were standard; the one thing my D wasn’t a fan of was the food, but she, like most kids, moved off campus sophomore year and lives in a nice apartment downtown almost right on campus. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Does anyone get off the waitlist at Point Park?

@MTdreamin, my daughter did 4 years ago as well as a number of people on the CC board. She was accepted April 30th and others May 1st that year so do know that it may be late in the game. She graduates from there in a few weeks!

@MTdreamin I’m pretty sure that last year only one boy came in off the waitlist.

But that’s not to say more weren’t accepted off the waitlist. Since they wait so long to announce, I’m sure students went where they had already committed prior. I know that was the case my daughter’s year.

Thanks @GSOMTMom! And congrats to you and your D!!

My daughter loves everything about the program at PPU! She loves the faculty, her MT classes, and especially the great group of kids that she’s surrounded by. The brand new Pittsburgh Playhouse is amazing, and these kids are SO fortunate to have that space! She’s loving the town too, and could not be happier!!