Point park MT program

<p>Can anyone tell me what point park is like? My d just got accepted. I am concerned about the numbers accepted (45) and the attention they will recieve and the 20 or so who may not make it into the BFA…Any advice on the atmosphere, level of support vs. competitiveness would be appreciated!</p>

<p>I was told a number of students choose NOT to go the BFA route as being a BA allows them to graduate a bit earlier. Also, BA’s can still get chosen to go the showcase. It’s not required to be a BFA for that. (I haven’t looked lately but in the past anyway there were photos and bios of the current showcase group.)</p>

<p>Thanks so much for responding classicalbk…do you know anything about the school’s reputation?</p>

<p>If you go to the PP thread there is lots of specific information on this program.</p>

<p>[Point</a> Park University MT - College Confidential](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/point-park-university-mt/]Point”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/point-park-university-mt/)</p>

<p>I can’t say absolutely for certain, but they seem to stress dance a bit more than some other schools. D’s friends who were accepted into the MT program in past years were strong dancers and said that they felt that was stressed in the auditions as well.
They do have a very good dance dept so maybe they use some of the same faculty?</p>

<p>I got accepted as well! I’ve been doing some research. There’s an amazing thread about Point Park right here. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/point-park-university-mt/864337-point-park-mt-major-dance-minor-here-assist.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/point-park-university-mt/864337-point-park-mt-major-dance-minor-here-assist.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It’s really really helpful! Current MT students of Point Park are on that thread answering every question on there! Hope this helps!</p>

<p>thanks for the link</p>

<p>Bearbiscuit, my son is in his third year as an MT major. I am very happy with the attention he has received and the training that he has gotten. My son did not get caught up in the BA vs. BFA situation. In fact, he didn’t even audition for BFA because he wanted the flexibility to diversify his training. He took technical theatre classes, sound classes, etc. </p>

<p>I truly am very happy with the professors, curriculum and experiences available at PPU.</p>

<p>In fact, I am waiting for the decision for my daughter who auditioned for MT in January.</p>

<p>mrsanna</p>

<p>Any thoughts on the interraction between MT and Acting. My S has been admitted to PP for Acting. He did not auditon for MT as Acting is his thing. Curious about the opportunities for Acting students to get cast in shows, how the different majors interact, etc. Is there a step child feeling?</p>

<p>Any thoughts would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Acting and MT majors can audition for all productions and it is not unusual to see an Acting Major with a lead in a musical or an MT in a drama. Both majors take classes together. One caveat, all freshman must fulfill two stint on crew before they can audition for the Playhouse productions. Their first opportunity to audition is the “May” shows ay the Playhouse’s Playhouse Jr… Pinnacle Productions, student run. puts on an amazing array of shows and here again, as it should be, there are actors singing and MT’s acting. Freshmen can be cast in these productions and many are.</p>

<p>From what my son tells me, it is one big melting pot. Acting majors are permitted to audition for musicals and MT majors can audition for the plays. In fact, last year the conservatory did ILLYRIA (musical version of Shakespeare’s Twelfe Night) and Twelfe Night. Two of his friends were cast in the same part. His MT friend was in the play while his acting major friend was in the musical.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information. Pending hearing from CMU, I think my son favors Point Park. I have not really been there (even though my office is essentially on campus) so I am curious to hear about it. Any insight into the college life part of PP. I am a little concerned about there not being much of a campus.</p>

<p>Perhaps a few of you could post comments on the drama/theater majors forum, specifically the Point Park BA to BFA thread. Seems like your input would be helpful. Thanks!</p>

<p>From what I understand, “Downtown” is dead on the weekends. My D is a freshman and there always seems like there is something going on, whether it is in the dorms or in Oakland, where the Playhouse is and PPU offers a free shuttle service and Pitt and CMU are located. She and her classmates have also taken advantage of being close to the Cultural District and travel often by bus to The Strip and Shady Side for restaurants and shopping. She has friends who are MT and Acting majors (as a parent, I never know the difference) and not only do the majors mix, the different classes mix as well. The upper classmen are extremely welcoming She is incredibly happy, very busy…loves her friends and professors. She, along many of the current freshmen, will be moving out of the dorms and to Oakland next year. This move has been made easier by the older students who shared information. There is a neighborhood near the Playhouse where many, many PPU students rent.</p>

<p>My D is graduating from PPU in May. She has loved every minute of it. We are impressed how she has grown not only as a performer but also as a person.</p>

<p>I sent you a private message IrishMT. We did indeed meet in Cincinnati. My son lived PPU and facuty.</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-I535 using CC</p>

<p>Mcpcwhite,</p>

<p>Wasn’t allowed to leave a PM. I guess I better make a few more comments so that I can do that. Will be in touch. If you are planning a visit, I can hook you up with some really great kids.</p>

<p>IrishMT—I assume your daughter is in the musical theater program at PPU. My daughter is straight acting, and we are concerned about the BA to BFA audition that takes place second semester sophomore year. The BFA is very important to her, but we can’t seem to get a fix on the likelihood that one will move into that program. I have received some conflicting information, so any comments from you would certainly be helpful. I also started a thread a couple of weeks back on the Theater/Drama forum on this topic, so you and others from this thread are welcome to post there. Thank you!</p>

<p>Mcpcwhite—again congrats to your son! Is he also MT? I’d also welcome any input from you about PPU.</p>

<p>We got an acceptance to PPU MT concentration at our house! :slight_smile: I have been mostly a reader on CC so I don’t have enough posts to PM. Just thought I’d ask those of you who know the PPU program pretty well to please post as much on here as you feel comfortable posting rather than PM’ing…there are some of us who would greatly appreciate your input as we approach decision making deadlines. I’d love to hear some thoughts about the acting training that is received by those in the MT concentration. I know PPU has a great rep for their dance trianing. Do the MT’s get the same classes and instructors as their dance majors?</p>

<p>Odd dad,
My daughter is a Senior Acting Major. Since being there she was able to audition to be a MT minor which was approved, this enables her to take more of the MT courses. She also auditioned for the BFA degree and will be getting that degree in May. We have been so impressed with the program there. The opportunities are endless it seems. She has been in the May shows, a main stage show, several pinnacle shows. She has done staged readings,
A web series. She also worked in the Box Office all 4 years.</p>