Population decreased?

<p>Sorry, it has nothing to do with college itself but I just wondered how come Tuscaloosa has decreased in population…
its now 90k. </p>

<p>:D </p>

<p>where is it showing that it has decreased? if so, I am guessing that maybe some people have moved to the nearby small towns/cities (Northport, Holt, Cottondale), because of cheaper housing. </p>

<p>As of 2014, Tuscaloosa’s population is 90,766 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 14.16 percent.</p>

<hr>

<p>93,357 (2012) is what I saw in google so i thought it decreased</p>

<p>The tornado likely displaced some people short term, but the general trend is toward population growth. The growth of the university has resulted in growing the surrounding community, but the tornado affected housing stock over the short run.</p>

<p>The 93,357 is from official 2012 US census data. The 90,000 appears to be from another county population website, which might be an estimate. Neither figure includes those living on campus, right?</p>

<p>Students living in the dorms fill out the census saying they live in Tuscaloosa, regardless of where they legally live. It’s also worth noting that 2012 population data is a projection as the last census was done in 2010. </p>