Possibilities beyond Alabama

<p>This perhaps may sound a bit ungrateful and show a certain lack of faith, but I in no way intend it to be so. That said, I wish to be secure in the belief that if I utilize as much of Alabama’s educational experience as I can and fully apply myself to building a powerful resume and academic foundation, then I should be perfectly competitive for entrance to a top graduate school, med school, law school, etc. While I have full confidence in Alabama’s credentials, I do sometimes worry that the fact that it is still a middle-tier public school will cut me off from certain opportunities beyond college. Could someone please shed some light on this; maybe individuals who have indeed gone on to a world-class graduate school or snagged a spot in some top firm. Many thanks, and, again, it is not meant as a sign of doubt; I just want to be confident that I am not ultimately limiting myself.</p>

<p>* then I should be perfectly competitive for entrance to a top graduate school, med school, law school, etc. While I have full confidence in Alabama’s credentials, I do sometimes worry that the fact that it is still a middle-tier public school will cut me off from certain opportunities beyond college.*</p>

<p>Since I personally know Bama grads who are now attending “big name” med schools (Ivies, Duke, Vandy, etc), big name law schools and big name grad schools, you don’t have to worry about that.</p>

<p>I also remember attending my older son’s honors day and when students came up to the stage to receive their recognitions, their future grad schools were also mentioned - all big names.</p>

<p>This is a list just from the philosopy dept that should be interest to you…</p>

<p>[Who</a> are some of your successful majors? | Department of Philosophy - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://www.as.ua.edu/philosophy/home/student/who-are-some-of-your-successful-majors/]Who”>http://www.as.ua.edu/philosophy/home/student/who-are-some-of-your-successful-majors/)</p>

<p>I can tell you that DH’s cousin graduated from UA in 2006, went immediately to med school in general surgery @ UAB. He finished there in general surgery in June 2011 and is now a transplant surgery fellow at Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison. He did his first indenpendent liver transplant surgery two months ago. Not bad for a homegrown Bama boy before the age of 32.</p>

<p>remember, JUST because you go to a top tier school, either public or private, you are not guaranteed entrance into a “top” post grad school or job with a “top” company. You actually have to be successful in college to qualify for those schools. </p>

<p>I am of the belief that almost any undergrad environment can lead you to the same end point as any other undergrad environment. You just choose your mode of transportation~</p>

<p>where you end up in your life depends more on who YOU are and what YOU then where you went to undergrad.</p>