Possibility of Getting into Texas A&M

<p>Good evening, I do not post here often, but I think with my recent interest in Texas A&M, I would ask a few questions.</p>

<p>To start, I haven't had the best academic record in my time. I flunked out of a semester completely, but I am working towards better grades. I had a history of depression problems that hindered me from achieving my goals academically; I would either be unmotivated or simply the classes would be too much to handle. Fortunately, I am beginning to overcome these issues that may lead me to my goals.</p>

<p>Ergo, my question becomes, what is the likelihood of getting accepted despite a poor academic record? Could I write about the problems I had to overcome in my essay and use it to my advantage? I've run a I'm really hoping there is some way for me to get in since It has sort of been a dream of mine the past couple of years. </p>

<p>I managed to get around a 3.85 in every class they're going to accept as transfer credit, however, their transfer policy may drop that because of their protocol with F's. I've been part of the Engineering Club for about a year, I've run an Ebay company since 2010, and my dad is a former student.</p>

<p>Should I just give up on the idea because of my prior record, or is there even a small, microcosm of a chance that I may be able to get in? Thank you.</p>

<p>The way I see it… the worse that can happen is they deny you and you are out $75… the best that can happen is you get accepted. I believe that on the essay’s you are required to explain adverse grades. Looks like you are on the upswing. Just ask yourself if $75 is worth the answer.</p>

<p>This is only my 2 cents worth as a former student and parent of a class of 2013 graduate, so take this opinion as such for what it’s worth.</p>

<p>I don’t think great essays will offset some very poor high school grades. Flunking out of an entire semester is a considerable short coming no matter what the reason. I think your chances are probably pretty low for getting into a school like A&M where 90% of the accepted students are in the top 50% of their high school graduating classes. By all means, though, go ahead and apply. Some chance is better than no chance.</p>

<p>I think you best bet at this point is to prepare for the transfer route. Go to Blinn or A&M Galveston where you can start with a clean slate. If you make the grades there, you are almost a lock to get in your sophomore or junior year to the A&M main campus. If you truly have turned yourself around and are ready to be the caliber of student you need to be to become an Aggie, you can get there. It might just not be right out of high school.</p>

<p>It is commendable you have turned things around for yourself and I wish you great success in what ever school you go to next.</p>

<p>Thanks for the support.</p>

<p>I’m not opposed to going to one of their alternate campuses to make the grade. Is it a lot easier to get into one campus VS another?</p>

<p>Note: i forgot to mention, I’m a transfer student coming from a community college in MO.</p>

<p>Well that is a horse of a different color (Wizard of Oz reference!).</p>

<p>Your GPA and type of class from your college courses are very important in the transfer process. In fact, there are minimums where they won’t even consider your application if you haven’t met them.</p>

<p>I think you’re best bet is to talk to an admissions advisor at A&M (or at one of their regional offices), lay it all out for them with what you have told us, and see what direction you can go from there. Here is the link for that page on their website:</p>

<p>[Prospective</a> Student Centers](<a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/psc/]Prospective”>http://admissions.tamu.edu/psc/)</p>

<p>No one on this board will be able to give you as good an answer as the people at A&M will as to what you need to do and your chances of success. I posed the same type of question about my son on this board 5 years ago and had one person say they didn’t think he had a really good chance (out-of-state, not top of class), and just a few weeks later he got his acceptance from A&M with an almost full ROTC scholarship. He walked across the stage to receive his diploma 3 weeks ago! So, you just never know until you try. Good luck.</p>

<p>@mhjames I think it is difficult to tell what your chances are given the info you’ve provided to us. Much of it will depend on your cumulative GPA, total hours taken and how many will transfer into your desired major. </p>

<p>I think you will want to speak to the experiences you had in the past and what you’ve learned through them. Also, look to take about your internet business and what you’ve learned from this. </p>

<p>Lastly, what is your overall goal that you’re trying to accomplish? What do you want to do with your college degree and why Texas A&M?</p>