Possible Geneseo Transfer

<p>I am a freshman at UB this year, and I have been accepted into Geneseo for next year. I am contemplating transferring due to the size of the school at UB. If I decided to transfer I would be a business major. It would be appreciated if any Geneseo students could provide some info about the school from a students point of view. THANKS!!</p>

<p>Make sure you visit before you commit. Our son took it off his list after visiting the campus and the surrounding area. You’ll either love it or hate it.</p>

<p>^ Yeah visit would probably be the best idea.</p>

<p>Overall if you like a nice rural atmosphere with a smaller feel Geneseo might be good. As much as the HW load and cold bother me I like the campus and the area. :P</p>

<p>Also the sunset on a good day can be amazing. The dorms that i’ve been in on the south side are pretty nice and the facilities seem to be well maintained. Lots of good food on campus and there are small shopping areas just outside campus. Main St. has some cool little shops as well.</p>

<p>thank you- anyone have any insight on the business school?</p>

<p>Actually, we walked the Main St. on a Sunday and almost everything was closed. There really isn’t much around within walking distance. Yes, the campus is beautiful—but it does feel small. It honestly has the feel of a high school. The science building is pretty impressive but many of the classes seem to be held in what is a renovated elementary school building. That building reminded our son too much of his elementary school—it turned him off. The campus is situation on a hill so there is a lot of walking up hill when making your way around. Not a big deal for college kids but as parents, we were huffing and puffing during the tour.</p>

<p>Our son wanted a more modern feel to a campus and he wanted easy access to a good sized mall, a couple of fast food places, a movie theater, and other forms of entertainment. Geneseo has a wonderful academic reputation and it is the perfect school for some kids. If you’re looking for strong academics, an historic looking small town with basically a Main St. (where businesses close on Sunday), and don’t mind that the location of the school (not the easiest school to travel to), than go for it. It’s a school that is loved by many. I definitely recommend that you visit ASAP–you will know right away if you love it or not.</p>

<p>^ Thank you nysmile. I have visited twice before and have loved the school each time. I’ll definitely be visiting again</p>

<p>Good luck with your transfer.</p>

<p>Just to add to the already informative posts.</p>

<p>I am currently a freshman at Geneseo and let me tell you that Geneseo is a very unique place/school/home.</p>

<p>It is no secret that Geneseo has superb academics, the professors expect a lot from their students, and is tons of hard work. Most students have high expectations for their future, which is great. They also are very friendly and willing to help others out. It is interesting to note that in talking with a transfer from Hamilton, I was told that he can tell a difference between the types of students at Geneseo, and the types at Hamilton. He said that the kids at Hamilton are even smarter and more intellectually in tune. I find this funny because Geneseo compares itself to Hamilton, Colgate and Vassar.</p>

<p>The school grounds are well maintained, but I often wonder how much better the campus would look if it weren’t constrained by the state’s budget. The buildings with the exception of a few are old. However, just because they are old doesn’t mean that you can’t learn in them. If you are the type that enjoys old brick, nostalgic buildings covered with ivy and bordered by maple trees, then Geneseo is definitely a good fit. It is also interesting to note that another user said it felt like high school. I do sometimes get this feeling. Mostly because of the cliques between the athletic teams and the fact that it does NOT feel like there are actually 4000 students on campus at any given time.</p>

<p>Despite being a small town, Geneseo has quite a lot to offer. The shops on Main street are decent, but there aren’t really any “useful” ones. Main Moon (Chinese food), Pizza Paul’s and Mama Mia’s are fantastic eateries. The real treats are Wal Mart, Wegmans, Taco Bell, Pizza hut, Applebees, etc. all within a short bus ride, or even walk if you’re looking for a little bit of exercise.</p>

<p>The athletics at Geneseo are sub par. Reminds me very much of high school. AKA will not provide any entertainment compared to UB’s.</p>

<p>The nightlife is ok. Not much to do other than party, and even if you’re into that stuff, it gets old. No big deal though.</p>

<p>Overall, its a very good school, but you either love it or hate it.</p>

<p>Also, its reputation is growing rapidly. I can’t wait to see what its like in 10-15 years.</p>

<p>Good luck with your choice!</p>

<p>Don’t forget there is hiking, mountain biking, skiing, camping…hell, I learned how to fish when I attended Geneseo. Comming from Long Island which is covered in strip malls and now with two Outlet Centers it was refreshing! </p>

<p>If you need more of a city atmosphere Rochester is not that far away. I use to go there on the weekends if I needed to get away for a night. As for the transfer from Hamilton I find that interesting but remember that is just one person’s opinion.</p>