Possible transfer...

<p>I currently attend a small liberal arts college in MA, but I'm looking to transfer to UW. What are the worst things about UW? I got wrapped up in the flowery language of this place and then I found out it's hell. I want to know everything before I apply. Thanks :></p>

<p>The campus is very large, so it is easy to get lost. The vast majority of students do not have advisors who actively look out for them - several of my friends have no idea who their advisors are - so it is easy to get lost. As a result, the average students spends well over four years before graduating, and some simply drop out after a while. You need to go out of your way somewhat to make friends since the mass-lecture format of most freshman courses means that you will not see classmates' personalities from class, and it is unlikely that you will share more than one course with any given classmate anyway. </p>

<p>The other side of that, of course, is that you can slip into anonymity if you want, avoid certain people (ex-boyfriends, etc.), find fellow students who share particular obscure interests or extremely specialized classes, avoid taking courses with particular professors even in your major department, or find good opportunities for original research.</p>

<p>Basically, it's a huge system, which can be attractive or repulsive depending on what you're looking for. Most LAC transfers I've talked to were shocked by the amount of bureaucracy they had to wade through (most freshman admits don't have to deal with this) surrounding issues like challenging credit transfer decisions, meeting graduation requirements in the limited number of years they had left, getting into required courses (transfer students get late registration dates for their first semester here, which means that many classes will already be full), transfering scholarship awards from previous schools, slow review of honors program applications, and just learning how to get the resources they need, etc. However, at graduation most seemed to think that it had been, if not a completely enjoyable experience, at least a beneficial one - most Madison graduates are well adapted to hunting down the resources they need and solving problems on their own. </p>

<p>What specifically do you dislike about your current college, and what are you looking to find here?</p>

<p>I came to Wellesley because I was "supposed to". I was at the top of my class, National Honor Society, etc. I realize now that I always wanted to be at a large school where I could go to football games on the weekends and actually have fun.</p>

<p>I had several friends who were transfers from some of the better eastern LAC's and they were looking for broader options and a more diverse overall experience. Personally I did not have trouble with advising but I was in the B school and I think they are more focused and there are fewer options in courses so you don't have as much trouble meeting the requirements which can be fairly complex in liberal arts. By missing the intro classes you should not have very many big lecture classes although some popular electives are still large but they are popular because the prof knows how to handle a large class and keep it entertaining and interesting. The thing I have to stress about a large school is that it is really 50 small schools on one campus. Once you find your major dept that becomes your college. Nearly every large dept. has its own building, library, snack bar/lounge where the dept hangs out. You do get to know people having the same classes by junior year.<br>
Socially it is pretty hard to beat whether you like crowded bars or cool coffee houses. The sports are all amazing and school spirit is always high for football, basketball and ice hockey. There are 100's of free lectures, concerts, plays etc. and I found those a nice change from the rowdy drinking scene. There are groups of all kinds and political leanings but most students are pretty middle of the road these days.
Most kids live off campus after first year and that is the way to go.</p>

<p>Well. If you are use to diversity, you are in for a huge shock. More than 90% of wisconsin is white and its about the same with the school. People arent mean or anything, but I dont you really realize that until you are here. But if you are white, it probably wont be a big thing.</p>

<p>Oh and you've gotta love the accents! They rock my socks!</p>

<p>I'm only a freshman but this school is really goood about research opps and academic help.</p>

<p>I agree with Barrons comments, which I think are dead on. </p>

<p>I'm an administrator at UW. I have been in Madison ("75 square miles of unreality" or something like that) for a year. I was intially bewildered by the sheer size of this place. Close to 60,000 students and employees. I had come from a small cabinet level Federal department, which has less than 5,000 employees nationally and only about 800 in my former agency. </p>

<p>It took some time, but I think I have a handle on this place. It is absoutely stunning how much is available here. I'm enjoying the access to all the libraries, the lectures, the athletics, the music and dramatic performances. I am impressed by how accessible the most senior level administrators, including the Chancellor, are to students. I have found the faculty members I have worked with focused on meeting students' needs. The students really are collectively very nice. You'll find your way around here. You'll make lots of friends. You'll be attached to UW for the rest of your life.</p>

<p>Having said all that remember you'll need to take responsibility for making it work for you.</p>